• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Let me have it both barrels please

qmr55

I don't think you need the design around the border, it kind of takes away from the name. This is just a quickie 2 min job but maybe something along these lines?

Attachments

• ag.jpg
    ag.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 88

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If you are going to go patriotic - go all the way.
Nothing more "Red White and Blue" than one of the Avengers.

wayne k
guam usa

Attachments

• akb.jpg
    akb.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 105

ProWraps

dude youre a shatty sign broker. why ruin a good thing? your design "skills" embarass the rest of us.

just stop bro. seriously. just stop. sell other talented peoples works. its the best advise given on this thread.

Circleville Signs

You can do something dimensional within his budget. Hell - use 3mm polymetal/dibond as a backer, and then get some 3mm PVC and a scroll saw.

This isnt' rocket science....

Marlene

Originally Posted by SignManiac
I think you'll be wasting time and money on some course taught in a college. They aren't specific enough to the sign industry.

they aren't geared towards the sign industry but there are some great courses at your local college that would be well worth the time time. Marketing and Advertising are some of the best. to design for a sign, you first need to understand how all of this works as it is so much more than pretty colors and nice fonts. ever wonder why you pick up one brand over another when both products are the same and cost the same? it's all in knowing what works. then at least take some basic design and art classes. I can't draw for crap but took art classes just the same as it teaches the basics of balance, shadows and such. study on your own right here. when a design is posted that everyone loves, look at it and break it down as to why. the same goes for those that everyone hates. there is a lot to learned right here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve C.

Hey steve which fonts did you use. I put together the list you gave me earlier and came up with a 6 font pack I would like to make sure I have whichever those are.

Bold Script is Motherlode. other one is Ace Extra Bold. It comes with the Ace High set. I don't think Motherlode was in with my first recommendations.

Locals Find!

Bold Script is Motherlode. other one is Ace Extra Bold. It comes with the Ace High set. I don't think Motherlode was in with my first recommendations.

It wasn't, I am going to swap out Edoras for that one. I hopefully plan on coming back and buying more soon. One thing this thread has taught me is how pitiful my font collection is.

Steve C.

I'm thankful to make the sale. Fonts may create interest and diversity, they
won't make a good design alone. You have received a lot of good information
on this thread. Take it. I have stacks of SignCraft magazines that I flip through
when stumped for ideas. Just a little inspiration will jolt your creativity. And
read Mike Stevens' Mastering Layout.

CES020

Addie, I can't help you with the design, but I do feel your pain and I watch you struggling the same way I have many times. I'm not a designer. I don't pretend to be one. I don't know fonts, I can't pick fonts, and I'm not good at layouts.

I do, however, have a fairly critical eye. I look at signs, fonts, and layouts EVERYWHERE I go. Restrooms, menus, airports, strip malls, strip clubs, hotels, roadside food stands. You name it, I pay attention to it and have for years.

I'd love nothing more than to be able to do what some of these people seem to do so effortlessly. I've read a number of books on layouts, way finding, signs, etc. I look through google images all the time, looking back and signs starting in the 1800's. I watch old western movies and pay attention to the signs on the hotels, general stores, saloons, etc. I have a great interest in it all, but after only 5 years or so in this trade, I still don't pretend to be able to do that stuff.

You know what my limit is on what I'll design? Something free for someone that lost a dog, or possibly a family yard sale sign. Oh wait, I just did a banner for a family member the other day. That's it. That's what I'm qualified to do.

I also believe that your sign speaks volumes about your business. I don't believe I'd be doing anyone justice if I "doodled up" something and scroll through fonts until something made me happy. This is their brand. It's their store, it's their life. I personally believe it demands to be done right. Right by someone that understands that.

It's fine to have the passion and interest. I think that's healthy, but I think you also need to know that you can't just throw things out until something works.

You've spent a ton of time on this project already. Money lost. Even if you get the job, you've already lost money. There are so many people out there with so much talent that are giving very reasonable prices. You might want to think about using them and just continuing to watch what they do and learn.

I can say, in my opinion, you think you're going to get this down or get to a point where you can do design work sooner, rather than later, but in my opinion, you're on a path that's much longer than you might expect. As I mentioned earlier, I've been watching from the sidelines for about 5 years and I still don't believe I could charge for my effort and feel like I knocked it out of the park. Until I can, I'll hire people that can do that right out of the gate.

Locals Find!

CES - I agree hiring a designer is not a bad thing and I know the road is long and hard.

As for losing money on this. I really don't see it that way as I have been working on this in my downtime instead of watching T.V. So, in that respects I view this trial and error as an affordable hobby. If I was working on this during my regular billable hours during a day. Well, I would have already given up.

I am not billing the client for this design and am only charging him for the sign itself. If he isn't happy with it. Well then that is the risk I take. I will know though at the end of the day I learned something. That to me is better than watching re-runs.