• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Let me have it both barrels please

Locals Find!

Wasn't trying to do it for you, sorry if it looked like I was stepping on toes. It was 3am, I couldn't sleep, doing that sign was just something to do and it worked to explain what I meant by the background.

You've got the right attitude, keep trying to do the design work yourself, even if it's a failure every time. You've got to learn what doesn't work to figure out what does.

Pat you didn't step on any toes. I that you posted that as it gave me some inspiration for improving my design. I like the way you incorporated the ribbon element and the scroll work actually framing the entire panel looks way better than my corner accents and my lousy attempt at drawing a ribbon.

I was on a site I hear you guys mention a lot Letterhead fonts and found some panels, ribbon shapes and some scroll elements I am think about purchasing to try and improve my layout/design .

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wasn't trying to do it for you, sorry if it looked like I was stepping on toes. It was 3am, I couldn't sleep, doing that sign was just something to do and it worked to explain what I meant by the background.

You've got the right attitude, keep trying to do the design work yourself, even if it's a failure every time. You've got to learn what doesn't work to figure out what does.

If ya count sheep or close your eyes and go straight line.... you will go back to sleep much faster than designing things for free for other people..:Sleeping:

HulkSmash

Keep Practicing...A big part of design is typography... i'd get a book on that if i were you.. it would help your design... tremendously.

Locals Find!

Keep Practicing...A big part of design is typography... i'd get a book on that if i were you.. it would help your design... tremendously.

Had that same thought. I have plans to order a few as soon as I take care of an outstanding debt I have with a member here who helped me. I am also signing up for design classes in the fall at either Florida Gulf Coast University or Ringling Brothers in Sarasota to get myself some proper design education.

CheapVehicleWrap

Wow Addie, some of these guys are really trying to help you.

If you could just do me one small little favor... in honor of John Belushi... just for a week, could you change your tagline from "Needs a ladder!" to "Thank you Sir, may I have another!".

Locals Find!

Wow Addie, some of these guys are really trying to help you.

If you could just do me one small little favor... in honor of John Belushi... just for a week, could you change your tagline from "Needs a ladder!" to "Thank you Sir, may I have another!".

Since, you asked so nice! Why not? I am game!

Pat Whatley

Addie (and everybody else), this is a link to the most fascinating design book I've ever read. It's modern enough that it's relevant but not so filled with archaic technical data that it's boring. It offers really simple step by steps to a really strong set of design tricks, teaches you how letter forms are created, and is just all around a damn fine book.

At only $10 from Amazon it's worth every penny.

http://www.amazon.com/Logo-Letterin...sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333726634&sr=8-1-spell

Lunatic Taskbar

Addie (and everybody else), this is a link to the most fascinating design book I've ever read. It's modern enough that it's relevant but not so filled with archaic technical data that it's boring. It offers really simple step by steps to a really strong set of design tricks, teaches you how letter forms are created, and is just all around a damn fine book.

At only $10 from Amazon it's worth every penny.

http://www.amazon.com/Logo-Letterin...sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333726634&sr=8-1-spell

Great Suggestion Pat, Still cant work out why its more in Canada, :Canada 2: Maybe its all the added eh! in it LOL

here is a review of Pats suggestion.

http://ilovetypography.com/2007/12/08/logo-font-and-lettering-bible/

Last edited:

Locals Find!

Still need to make and scan some sketches. Couldn't stop thinking about this though and some of the things I saw in Pat's designs.

Is this better or am I still not there...

BTW: Actually going to attempt to get this client to hire Dan Antonelli but, I know he isn't going to make any fast decisions on that.

Attachments

• sign-concept-2.jpg
    sign-concept-2.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 74

Locals Find!

what part is making you gag? Is it the colors the layout can you be a bit more specific so I can know what I need to be working on?

Pat Whatley

Is this better or am I still not there...

You took all the advice and all of the suggestions, stirred them around in your head and that's what you came up with?

I think I see the problem. Apparently when you're thinking about what to do you are confusing all the thoughts about what NOT to do with the thoughts of what you should do. It's an easy fix....take your last layout and do the exact opposite of it!

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
addie, if you are going to do a swoosh at the bottom of american, it has to match the thickness of the text ... that being said ... go with lobster or creampuff for your script, they were designed for that sort of modification.

Circleville Signs

Addie,

You are trying to build a house without pouring a foundation. For someone with your (admitted) lack of design skills is being even FURTHER accentued by your seeming refusal to step away from the computer.

Please. Step away from the computer. Grab a pencil.