• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Let's play...."What's my computer problem?"

ericmitchell29

This maybe a really dumb thing to say Shovel but... did you try another keyboard or if you have a wacom did you turn it off?
I had an issue somewhat similar a few weeks back. Turned out my mouse had gone bad and was randomly clicking things on my desktop.
Maybe a key went bad on your keyboard and its messing with you.

Sorry, I know this probably isn't any help.

R08

Not sure if this has been covered but it has been alluded to.

It sounds to me like it may be a program (or device) that is failing to load.
There is a program in windows that allows you to turn off system devices one at a time to figure out if one or more programs are the problem.

Can't remeber the name of it right now but I've used it many times over the years and it's saved my hide quite a few times.

Ok it's called msconfig and you just type that into the run command: Very helpful.

Last edited:

p3

I just had this problem. And it gets worse as you let it go. Its sectors going bad in your hard drive and files becoming corrupt. programs won't function right and some wont even open...What eventually happened to me, is that when xp would load, I wouldn't even get passed the "log in" screen, it would just sit and say xp.

jiarby

No icons on desktop sounds like profile problem. Create a new user id, then log in and see if the new user profile has the same problem.

If everything is fine logged in as the new guy go ahead and rename your original profile from /documents and settings/<your profile name> to /documents and settings/<your profile name-old>.

Then log off and back in again as yourself. XP will create a brand new profile for you. Then you can copy the iportant stuff from the old profile to the new one (my docs, faves, pictures, etc...).

Profile corruption happens alot.

cdiesel

If you <alt> <spacebar> do you get the maximize/minimize/move option? I once had an issue with PS "not opening".. turned out the box was just moved off the screen entirely and I couldn't see it. You can use the arrow keys to select the move option and move it back onto the screen.

rfulford

I have another suggestion for a relatively quick fix.
1 Start up in safe mode
2 Create a new user with the necessary privileges you need
3 Log in as the new users and see if the problem persists.

Conor Knoxx

the best pieces of advice I saw here were:

running "msconfig" - turn off EVERYTHING in the start up configuration - reboot and see if its ok - if so, turn things on one at a time to find the culprit (do this in safe mode of course, since you can't see any app's in normal mode - but reboot in normal to "check" it..)

the dual display idea seemed interesting too. That is pretty much exactly what you'd see if you had 2 displays, and programs were all opening on the second monitor. simple thing would be to try simply plugging a monitor into the second video port (assuming you have one - otherwise this is definitely not the problem!) and see what you see ;)

jiarby

I have another suggestion for a relatively quick fix.
1 Start up in safe mode
2 Create a new user with the necessary privileges you need
3 Log in as the new users and see if the problem persists.

That's already been suggested a couple posts above.

Shovelhead

Well....I won't attempt to find an excuse but whomever called the dual monitor issue was correct. I thought that the other monitor was disconnected and didn't give it a thought...BUT, I made no changes within my video card software so why is there still nothing on my main monitor???
Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond.

GB2

Old Member
I guess there is the proof that automatically restoring or reformatting your hard drive or reinstalling your operating system before thinking is a bad...bad...idea.

SignBurst PCs

We all have those moments, especially with computers. It is very easy to assume that the problem is more complicated than it really is.

I had a customer call worried because his brand new computer wouldn't turn on. Shipping damage, bad power supply, bad video card, all the normal things popped into my head. I was about to start troubleshooting when I asked him, "So you push the power button and nothing happens, right?". He replies, "Where is the power button?".

This happened just last month or so. I would never name him, but I swear it is the truth.

Shovelhead

I genuinely feel bad for wasting people's time...but you will get over it...I thank you all again!!!!

:signs101:

R08

Well....I won't attempt to find an excuse but whomever called the dual monitor issue was correct. I thought that the other monitor was disconnected and didn't give it a thought...BUT, I made no changes within my video card software so why is there still nothing on my main monitor???
Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond.

LOL :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Now I know why that sounded familiar... It happened to me just a little while ago. Fortunately I figured it out before I embarased myself.