• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lets Talk Flatbed Laminators, Pros/Cons, Ideas, Etc...

FireFab

Hello, I know I am new here, been lurking for a while and finally signed up to post. I have a fabrication company that has moved into printing and needs a laminator for my business. I can build a flatbed laminator, the only problem is I have not used one and did not look at them at SGIA. I have CNC plasma, milling and welding of all metals at my disposal. I understand electronics and pneumatics. I have studied the Euro versions from CWT, Rolls Roller and Rollover. Looked at the Rogue Roller and sad to see that he is no longer around. Also I see China is moving into the market. I would like to start with my own prototype and if possible start building an affordable made in the USA model.

I am looking for info from users, what is good/bad? What would you like to change? Problems? Anyone know how many pounds of force the pneumatic ram is applying to the material?

Ideas that I will be using in my design:
-LED illumination with tempered glass top
-Cutting mat on glass
-Gantry under table for unobstructed roller
-Substrate roll holders for roller/table
-Straight edge cutter

Possible options
-Adjustable height table

Thanks

dypinc

I couple things I could think of would be a take-up roll for release liner.

Also the possibility of a hy-bred with a powered bottom roller at one end that the gantry roller could lock over, and take up rollers as well. I can see some great uses for a flat bed laminator but there is no way I could be with out a roll to roll laminator, but one that would incorporate the best of both worlds would be something I would strongly consider.

Split76

Hello, I know I am new here, been lurking for a while and finally signed up to post. I have a fabrication company that has moved into printing and needs a laminator for my business. I can build a flatbed laminator, the only problem is I have not used one and did not look at them at SGIA. I have CNC plasma, milling and welding of all metals at my disposal. I understand electronics and pneumatics. I have studied the Euro versions from CWT, Rolls Roller and Rollover. Looked at the Rogue Roller and sad to see that he is no longer around. Also I see China is moving into the market. I would like to start with my own prototype and if possible start building an affordable made in the USA model.

I am looking for info from users, what is good/bad? What would you like to change? Problems? Anyone know how many pounds of force the pneumatic ram is applying to the material?

Ideas that I will be using in my design:
-LED illumination with tempered glass top
-Cutting mat on glass
-Gantry under table for unobstructed roller
-Substrate roll holders for roller/table
-Straight edge cutter

Possible options
-Adjustable height table

Thanks

I've had rollsroller at first and now cwt. Led / cutting mat on glass are must have. This : http://www.cwtworktools.com/media/1051/table-topp-roll-holder.png is also nice, came with cwt, didn't have that with rollsroller. We place roll to be laminated to this at the end of the table and just laminate whole table at the time.. laminate is at the roll holder at the end of the table..
My first rollsroller was 360/140 , now cwt is 4000x1800mm . I bought bigger table than i need because it's nice to have space around the table for example if we are putting eyelets to banners. My hp 360 prints 1600mm rolls, so there are only 200mm left.
We been laminating with tables for the last 6 years but i'm ordering roll laminator at the moment.. I bought summa F month ago and would be nice to feed whole laminated rolls to it :D

We also use cwt's silent air compressor for our 2 pneumatic heat presses with membrane tables (shirt / cap).

Bly

We often laminate whole rolls of vinyl at a time.
How do you do that on a table?