• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Letter track attachment?

SIGNTIME

We don't do a lot of letter track, but have an order for 4- 8'x4' polycarb panels with letter track.

the sign we are doing is existing and it is 3 backlit cabinets stacked on top of each other ... the bottom 2 have been disconnected and the customer want to replace the faces of the bottom 2 (double sided so 4) with blank faces and letter track.

The faces are 3/16 polycarb and we are using the clear plastic letter track. I'm getting ready to attach the track to the sign faces, but want to make sure I'm doing it right.

1. I will be using the changeable letters to get proper spacing between each track but forget if I should add a 1/16th or not so they can slide easier?

2. I will be using aluminium rivets every 6" with clear silicon between, drilling the substrate the correct size but drilling the track oversized for expansion and contraction. How much should I oversize the holes in the track?

3. Am I forgetting anything?

SIGNTIME

Ok so 1/16th oversized holes. Thanks Gino

How about clearance for letters keep it tight or give a 1/16th of wiggle room?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There are different kinds of track and thicknesses of letters.

Most exterior signs use the .060 letters, which go up, under the upper track and then slide down into the bottom track. We always use the letters themselves as a guide, but you can easily make a jig and use that instead. I'm thinking it's more than a 1/16".

SIGNTIME

Sorry I wasn't very clear with what I was asking. I am ok with the thickness of the the letters and the gap from track to substrate.

What I should have said... the letters are 6" tall, should I make the distance between the rails 6" or should I give them a little wiggle room, and make that distance oversized like 6.0625" ?

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Looks like this was mentioned, but most manufacturers of letter track list on their site the distance the track should be spaced.

Also, why mess with drilling all of the holes, oversizing them, pop-riveting the track? Weld-On works a whole lot better and faster

GVP

+1 for Weld-on. Also, at least for Gemini, they supply the tracking in both acrylic and polycarbonate.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Yep, use the Gemini specs, and I use a scrap piece of MDO, or some other type of wood...

Looks like this was mentioned, but most manufacturers of letter track list on their site the distance the track should be spaced.

Also, why mess with drilling all of the holes, oversizing them, pop-riveting the track? Weld-On works a whole lot better and faster

I prefer the plastic rivets that Gemini sells. The thing with weld on, it can get every where quickly.

visual800

we always laid track out and used weld-on and tape down every so aften. Always use the letters as a guide, setting the top track (or bottom) on the letter and pulling it off maybe and 1/8"

There is no sense in drilling and siliconing that track use WELD ON people!

Signed Out

I see that weld on #10 is used for bonding dissimilar materials, but it isn't clear. Does anybody know which/if weld on can be used to bond polycarbonate faces with acrylic letter track?

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Probably doesn't matter, but 3 is non-flammable whereas 4 is flammable. 3 also sets up a bit faster.