• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

lettering a canvas awning

skyhigh

I have a customer that would like me to letter this "removable" portion of their awning. This is in a strip mall. The size is 19" tall x 15ft long. The material is canvas.

So what are my options?
I could use heat press material, but that would require me to remove the intricate webbing that attaches the material to the back frame. (sorry no pic). note: This removable section has its own frame that attaches to the "main" frame. Kinda neat, but I don't want to completely unassemble this thing.

How about using a mask & painting with???

Attachments

• Awning1.jpg
    Awning1.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 210

Craig Sjoquist

Since your not into ..Hand lettering this or hiring one who does, ...Yes vinyl paint mask,..Then LIGHTLY Spray ( spray can ) if un-able with a detail gun, a Primer , a few coats, then color again LIGHTLY spray give time for drying between coats of course till happy with results.

The reason for lightly spray, it will crawl under mask you need to set the paint so after a few coats less likely to crawl under mask.

Of course cover a good area for over spray at least 3ft all around or more.

Drip Dry

Try this link for some information. http://www.easyawn.com/pdf/ActionArtMaskStencilPaintingSunbrella.pdf

We used to use this mask all the time but used Permaflex Flock adhesive and a 2" foam brush. You can usually do it in one coat without the basecoat they specify when using latex paint.

I've done it this way a few times... worked very well. It's important to use the base coat.
I didn't use their stencil, I used oracal paint mask from fellers

A much better way is to use a heat press. If it's just one color, you can use thermoflex plus.