• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lettering a horse trailer

I have a customer that wants their horse trailer lettered. The sides of the trailer have vertical ribs every 5". They were concerned how it would look going over the ribs and wanted to know what else could be done. Only thing I thought was mount a piece of .032 aluminum. I'm thinking it might look cheesy though. Just letter it over the ribs? Is there something else that can be mounted that will give a nice look?

Forgot to put in that the size will be around 3'x12'

kanini

Tried to put a full color circle on a trailer today that had a lot of "ribs" and reinforcement channels and recessions that go everywhere, the circle didn't look like a circle anymore when I was finished putting it down =P. Convinced the customer for another layout that works better. Just saying that it COULD start to look weird if you just wrap it on the ribs, but don't have any good solution...

visual800

same issue 1 week ago a church called me out to letter an old school bus...ribs for days...I declined and told her not ony a pain in the rear but it would look distorted if accomplished

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I have a customer that wants their horse trailer lettered. The sides of the trailer have vertical ribs every 5". They were concerned how it would look going over the ribs and wanted to know what else could be done. Only thing I thought was mount a piece of .032 aluminum. I'm thinking it might look cheesy though. Just letter it over the ribs? Is there something else that can be mounted that will give a nice look?

Forgot to put in that the size will be around 3'x12'

Do not, as in do not, mount anything stood off from the side of a horse trailer.

You won't be creating a sign so much as creating a vet bill factory. When a horse is tied up to the side of a trailer, which is where they spend a great deal of their lives, they will invariably find any projection, no matter how slight, and manage to use it to do the maximum possible damage to themselves.

Either letter the surface you have or, if that's too much for you, pass on the job.

The inside and outside walls are separated by a 1" frame so if something was mounted to the outside the screws or rivets wouldn't penetrate the inside walls. I just wasn't sure if it would look nice or look like a cheap sign hanging on the side. I have done these trailers before so installing isn't the end I the world but the letters tend to look a little distorted when all is said and done

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
The inside and outside walls are separated by a 1" frame so if something was mounted to the outside the screws or rivets wouldn't penetrate the inside walls. I just wasn't sure if it would look nice or look like a cheap sign hanging on the side. I have done these trailers before so installing isn't the end I the world but the letters tend to look a little distorted when all is said and done

It's not the inside I'm talking about, it's the outside. You absolutely positively do not want anything stood off on the outside, Just like you don't want any fastener projecting on the inside.

When you haul horses, when to get to wherever it is you're going, you unload the horses and tie them to the outside of the trailer. There they abide while you're not actually using them. They usually spend more time being tied to the trailer [outside] than they do being used. If there's any projection, no matter how slight, they'll find it and attempt to as much damage to themselves as possible with it.

Craig Sjoquist

I hand paint corrugated ribs all the time & crazy stuff stick out around the corner circles etc.

Print you do not have freedom of movement of line to be viewed at most angles seen, as you do with hand lettering & painting.