• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lettering on a 37 ft concrete wall

OldPaint

my point exactly.........SDS is nice...FOR ITS INTENDED PURPOSE. but most i have seen are EXPENSIVE(way more then the corded DEWALT 1/2" hammer drill i own)heavier and bulkier to handle.
but then .......you never have enough tools))

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Without knowing what, if any, tools he has, I still wouldn't touch this with a hammer drill - even if he already HAS a hammer drill.

Got a generator, but no rotary hammer? Want to keep it as cheap as possible? Go get a rotary hammer from Harbor Freight. They're right around $100 and get really good reviews. Even if it only lasted you the one job, you would make your money back in the time you're saving on labor.

Don't own a generator or any cordless tools? Go to Home Depot and get the Ryobi 18v SDS and a 2-pack of 18v batteries. $200 out the door. You'll save a ton of time and have it for future jobs.

Already have a line of cordless tools? Go get a refurb bare (no battery) rotary hammer.

In my opinion, for this job, those are all better options than pecking at it with a hammer drill all day.

I would also consider option putting letters on top of the wall. Unless name of the company cannot be made this way
1) Cast concrete poured on site in the mold.
2) "L" shaped flat cut aluminum or stainless steel.
Will take less than two hours of installation, if you make them in 10' sections.

Attachments

• letters on the wall.jpg
    letters on the wall.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 117

visual800

I would do routed 3/4 pvc painted and siliconed. aint no sense in paying gemini for cast when you can just use pvc. silicone is better than drilling 200 holes

fresh

I just watched the comparison of hammer drill and the sds rotary drill.
Impressive!

Thank you!

I meant a SDS Rotary Drill, we have this one. It needs to be plugged in, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

If your on the fence about buying it, just stop. My partner was all "No more tools!!." He spent HOURS and multiple bits doing a concrete job that was tiny. I eventually convinced him we needed this for a bigger job, and OMG. Its night and day. It goes through concrete like butter.

OldPaint

I LOVE MY RYOBI 18V powered tools. with 3 batteries, ful charged on in the tool, one sitting full charged and one in the charger.........I AM NEVER WITHOUT POWER))))
i have the 18V, 3/8 drill, 5 1/4' " saw, recip, radio, weed eater and chain saw))))))i have to add this little jewel..........most have given up on 12V tools. LET ME TELL YOU THIS ONE YOU NEED AND WILL FALL IN LOVE WITH!!!!!
RYOBI 12V COMPACT DRILL.......... yep. wife decided she wanted a drill around the house, something light and smaller then my 18V RYOBI. i was inclined to go to a small makita(white one)but they are $199 for the 18V $79 for a 12V. played with the RYOBI 12V in the store and for $49.00......bought it. LET ME TELL YOU........THIS PUPPY.....can sink a 3 INCH deck screw(the head) bout a 3/8 of an an inch INTO 2 2 X 8's and TWIST YOUR WRIST when it hits bottom!!!!!!!!!!!!!
being 12V didnt think it would last long. but the 12V LITHIUM.....HAS NEVER DIED when using it. after iam done with it its back on the charger........but its so compact, powerful and light.......I DONT EVEN USE THE 18V DRILL........ unless its something really tough.
for everyday normal usage.......WE KEEP THIS ONE IN THE HOUSE....

Attachments

• ryorzrhjp001k.jpg
    ryorzrhjp001k.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 106

Kollman32

Sandblasting will weaken the concrete, so your client wouldn't be too happy in a few years if it starts to crack. That looks like a pretty modern building... IMHO brushed aluminum/stainless letters on stand-offs would work well for that wall. Don't give your client too many choices - pick two or three you feel would represent them best and sell them on that.

How would sandblasting "weaken" the concrete. Hammer drilling with a bit into the concrete with multiple standoffs will, however.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Neither sandblasting or drilling holes is going to weaken the concrete enough to be of any concern. Sandblasting and drilling in concrete is done all the time...it's not like it's just going to fall apart. :rolleyes:

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I LOVE MY RYOBI 18V powered tools. with 3 batteries, ful charged on in the tool, one sitting full charged and one in the charger.........I AM NEVER WITHOUT POWER))))
i have the 18V, 3/8 drill, 5 1/4' " saw, recip, radio, weed eater and chain saw))))))i have to add this little jewel..........most have given up on 12V tools. LET ME TELL YOU THIS ONE YOU NEED AND WILL FALL IN LOVE WITH!!!!!
RYOBI 12V COMPACT DRILL.......... yep. wife decided she wanted a drill around the house, something light and smaller then my 18V RYOBI. i was inclined to go to a small makita(white one)but they are $199 for the 18V $79 for a 12V. played with the RYOBI 12V in the store and for $49.00......bought it. LET ME TELL YOU........THIS PUPPY.....can sink a 3 INCH deck screw(the head) bout a 3/8 of an an inch INTO 2 2 X 8's and TWIST YOUR WRIST when it hits bottom!!!!!!!!!!!!!
being 12V didnt think it would last long. but the 12V LITHIUM.....HAS NEVER DIED when using it. after iam done with it its back on the charger........but its so compact, powerful and light.......I DONT EVEN USE THE 18V DRILL........ unless its something really tough.
for everyday normal usage.......WE KEEP THIS ONE IN THE HOUSE....

I'm with you on the Ryobi stuff and the 12v stuff. Pretty much all I use anymore is my 12v Milwaukee impact and drill.

I have a slew of 18v Ryobi tools...generally stuff that wasn't/isn't offered by other manufacturers or is just more affordable: cordless miter saw, cordless floodlight, cordless fan, cordless trimmer/edger....they make pretty decent stuff.

A lot of the 12v stuff is nearly on par with some of the (not so) older 18v stuff.

OldPaint

WEAKIN THE CONCRETE????
ok folks..........iam old and maybe not the brightest bulb in the pack..........
BUT........DO YA ALL SEE THE SAME THING I DO??????????????
ITS CONCRETE WALL..................IN THE MIDDLE OF A LOT.......NOT HOLD ANYTHING UP
BUT ITSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!))))))))))))))))))))))))
now drill a few holes, sandblasting it.........SURE AS H E DOUBLE L..........aint gona weakin the wal to the point of falling apart))))))))))))))))))))))