• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lettering on an awning

Colorburst

I have been asked to quote putting new lettering on this awning. Judging from other awning in the complex, it looks like originally this large white area 40"h x 20' w was eradicated and then a large piece of vinyl was applied over the area with the new lettering cut out of it. I assume I need to clean off the old adhesive that has collected dirt and then apply new vinyl, correct? How would you do this?
Thanks,
George

Attachments

• MiracleEarAwning.jpg
    MiracleEarAwning.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 154
  • HotSpotAwning.jpg
    HotSpotAwning.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 90

Techman

is the front face an insert? if so,, remove it and change the fabric. At the same time they add in the lettering.

artsnletters

is it back lit? if so you're screwed then.
I don't know about you but it always seems that when i'm doing things outside my normal realm of capabilities...i always under bid it or have headaches. I remember seeing eradicated awning materials years ago by a manufacturer i can't place...
Good luck anyway.
Tim

round man

If its backlit we used to just wash the white face off with glue remover,prep, and apply translucent vinyl at the sign dept of the awning company where I worked. as long as the area is white I would suggest a dark green base close to the colr of the rest of the awning and add a bit of color to the copy that catches the eye. It shouldn't be any problem as long as the area is clean and the lights behind it work.

edited to add,..in the past I have taken eradication fluid and washed a red backlit awning off well enough to use a darker color opaque vinyl ink to reverse out a new sign,say like an opaque dark green,...the trick is to get the original white area clean enough for the lighting behind it to work well.it was alot of work but they preferred my days wage to replacing the awning.

Malkin

It has been my experience that vinyl, even hi perf trans vinyl, does not last as long on an awning compared to normal rigid substrates. In my area vinyl seems to last 4-5 years max on awnings.

Colorburst

is it back lit? if so you're screwed then. Yes it is back lit
If its backlit we used to just wash the white face off with glue remover,prep, and apply translucent vinyl at the sign dept of the awning company where I worked. as long as the area is white I would suggest a dark green base close to the colr of the rest of the awning and add a bit of color to the copy that catches the eye. It shouldn't be any problem as long as the area is clean and the lights behind it work.
Can I clean it, prep it and apply new vinyl with the awning in place? I don't think I have the expertise or space to remove it, work on it and re-install it. If I use an opaque dark green vinyl background, cut out the letters and cut another set of letters in a transluscent vinyl and apply them on the inside of the cut out so there is a white border around the letters and a colored letter will that work? Attached layout idea.

Attachments

• MiracleEarAWNING.pdf
    12.6 KB · Views: 119

round man

That was exactly what I was talking about,... no reason you shouldn't be able to cover the courtesy panel on front there like in your art,..it should work great as long as the greens match at night,..,