• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

lettering on an old awning

have a customer that just opened a new store. the canopy/awning which looks to be made of some sort of canvass like material that looks like the back of banner material, you know how it has those little bumps, is the best way i can discribe it!

anyways, he took off the old lettering which of course left a ghost image of the lettering. what can be used to firstly clean that stuff up with, without harming the material/awning.

also he wanted to paint over it, is this possable? as he wants it resigned once repainted.

never dealt with awnings before so please excuse my sheer ignorance!!!

thanks

daenterpri

This last week I had a job on an awning. Needed to add some new lettering. Typical vinyl adhesive was worthless on this particular type of fabric. After some asking around my local supply company pointed me to the product Dac-Tac: http://www.flagspolesbanners.com/dactac.html

I have no clue about repainting, but if you were just re-signing it with cut vinyl, I would use that material.

Steve C.

I have had some luck, in the past, with flat latex on vinyl banners. If this
awning is made of the same material, it could work. I'd do a test in an out
of the way spot. Also check with your supplier, there are some paints made
for priming banners.

visual800

I do tons of awnings and this one sound like vinyl. I would take it down clean the hell out of it and then spray it with semigloss or satin acrylic latex. It will turn out great and you can also letter with vinyl after a few days of it drying. It will save the customer a little money and make you a little

Ive got awning sup I have sprayed for well over 5 years now and they still look great, flat is not going to work as well if your going to letter it also flat has a tendency to mold

Sign Eagle

I have renewed and change several awnings in place. Clean with water then alcohol. For adhesive cleaning we have found MAX PROFESSIONAL to be the best stuff available, comes out of Florida. After cleaning we paint with OneShot Lettering Enamel using a foam roller. The first one we did was about 8 years ago still looks good.

John Butto

"you know how it has those little bumps" if it is vinyl material that is called scrim which has crosshatch look to it, it adds strength to the material. Visual800 is giving you good advice if it is vinyl. If it is Sunbrella or cloth material that is a whole different thread.

SignosaurusRex

I'm guessing from the details in your post that you are most likely dealing with a typical WEBLON awning vinyl fabric. We've done quite a few of these type of projects in the past. Regardless of what the actual material is, I'd suggest a very thorough cleaning, then priming with a good waterborne topcoat/primer such as Chromatic WFTI-COAT 433-1011 clear. It goes on fast and easy, can be brushed or rolled and dries in 1-2 hours. It can then be painted with either Enamel or Latex.

visual800

to each his own do NOT use one shot. One shot is crap! Latex is the way to go on this. UNLESS you have some one shot that is 20 years old!