• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lettering Pricing

Tagdog

Curious about what to charge for simple window lettering? I lost the first request for this to someone else. I really do not have a clue what others charge. Do you charge by the linear inch depending on how tall the letters are? Do you charge for time?

Signs Up

Left Coast

price it per sq foot in my case and if it is lower than my shop minimum ($50) i charge em $50 and they can take it or leave it usually hehe.

cheers

MariaMartini

Lettering pricing from Fedex Kinkos

I don't know what most places charge, but at Fedex Kinkos, they charged 50% of the letter height/per letter. If the letters were 1 inch tall, they were 50 cents each, if the letters were 2 inches tall, they were $1 each, and so on.

Man.. it's been since October since I worked there... was it per letter or per work?

Doubt that was much help :p

Tagdog

The guy wanted something that would show up. He said he wanted 1' letters....."For Lease" with phone #. I suggested Black background with yellow letters, 10 sq. ft. I told him $100.00. I drove by the other day and he had two foot White letters on it. Was I too much? I'm just trying to get a barometer for the future.
Thanks
Signs Up

Ken

This discussion leads to price wars...
Give a quote..what you need..if it doesn't work...don't feel bad..actually, be happy that you are NOT the lowballer.....Shame on them...lol
Ken

OldPaint

The guy wanted something that would show up. He said he wanted 1' letters....."For Lease" with phone #. I suggested Black background with yellow letters, 10 sq. ft. I told him $100.00. I drove by the other day and he had two foot White letters on it. Was I too much? I'm just trying to get a barometer for the future.
Thanks
Signs Up

i dont know bout you...but when i do ANY WINDOW...i consider it A BLACK BACKGROUND!
so if you was gona do 2 COLORS for $100 you was way CHEAP!
AND FOR THE LOVE of MIKE....learn to use ALL CAPS for that type a window lettering...
the guy WANTS IT TO BE SEEN....people who do lower case for this, are just showin how much they DONT KNOW!!!!!
but who ever did it...musta did it for less...............

Ken

Thanks OP..I DO understand your rant about all upper caps on a window..BUT..it really does seem like SHOUTING....I'm sure there are applications where this wont really fit.
So, I have to disagree that this is a RULE...
Cheers!
Ken

Tagdog

I would have done it in ALL CAPS. I just wrote it that way here on the forum.
I noticed the window looking like a black background when I drove by, but after I had suggested the two colors. I know now.
Thanks

5acrefarmer

Black and Crack

A painted black background can result in a broken window if the window gets enough sun and the black holds the heat in.

::ONEBADBUG::

when someone asks me to do like a trucs window... or similar

under 48" $65 installed....
one color... in basic avery's...

over 48" $100 installed

if more colors? .
.. I ussually add $25 per color to the aboves...

And if if someone is looking for the 'catchy' vynils like reflectives or color change, or patterned or gradiated colors and such.. then I work quotes up from the above bases and add as per the materials price dictates...

Most the time it winds up being the rolls cost + the base and to date I have never had a customer gripe ever... and somehow still always wind up doing it for less that the mongo sized chain banner shop down the road from me... And I'm not even trying to be competetitve wth them. Hell, I dont even advertise as a sign or banner shop,

I'm a glass shop for christs sake...:thumb:

signmeup

He probably got a price from you so he could say, "so and so down the road will do it for this much." so he could get a better price out of the sign shop that did it.

TonyHoles

Your price wasn't bad for 2 colors but I would have just offered up a single color simple to read font since it was a temporary "for lease" sign. One color that's 12" by 48" approx., installed for around 80 bucks.

Jackpine

I agree with TonyHoles. I would NOT have quoted 2 colors since it is temporary and not cost effective. Glass always will look dark. RTA lettering would be $35. Installed within 5 miles $80 cash in hand. I would think you may want to do some research on pricing. Get yourself a subscription to Signcraft and you will get a price guide FREE. But the magazine will give you a new perspective about signs and the craft or signmaking.