Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lettering Shadows

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Bigdawg, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    When I make a shadow it is usually a drop shadow to the left bottom. But I notice a lot of vehicle graphics that have an upper right "shadow"

Which way do you do your shadows? And why? I do mine like I do because I generally envision the light source as coming from the top... shining down from the right.

Just curious.

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    I usually go down and to right

3. Steve C.

Steve C. Very Active Member

May 22, 2003
    I was taught to work, as a right hander, with light coming from
    over my left shoulder, hence, shadows fall to the bottom right, mostly.

4. oldgoatroper

oldgoatroper Roper of Goats. Old ones.

Jul 28, 2009
    Alberta
    I always go down and to the right as more letter shapes open to the right and also a shadow to the right on italic type is not partially hidden and awkward looking like it would be if it went to the left

5. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    When I learned hand lettering at Butera it was usually bottom right. And they were "cast" shades, not drop shadows. Most often they had a little space between the letter and the shade, I always figured this was to make it easy to add a shade to a wet letter, but it also gave a little relief between the two colors.

6. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    That's the way Carnegie Drawing taught us, back in the 50's.

7. daveb

daveb General Know-it-all

Feb 11, 2010
    Quincy, IL
    I usually have my light source coming from the upper left with a lower right shadow, the rule of thumb I was always taught is that we read from left to right. By putting the light source in the upper left, that draws your eye to the upper left first then to the right. Supposedly making it easier to read... whether it works or not? Who knows :Big Laugh. I've been doing it this was for so long it looks funny to me coming from anywhere else unless I intentionally want to draw the eye from a different direction.:omg:

8. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    I wasn't even a dirty thought in my daddy's head in the fifties...

9. signcrafters london

signcrafters london Very Active Member

May 22, 2010
    London KY
    I originally put shadows bottom/right. For whatever reason, when my brother hand-lettered he found it easier to put shadows bottom/left, so I changed for him. Still doing them that way.

10. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA

Maybe not, but I'll bet he was practicing. :wink:

11. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    down, left... no reason... well, down for the same reason, but left for no reason

12. Steve C.

Steve C. Very Active Member

May 22, 2003
    For that same reason, I have worked with some sign guys that would rather
    do a shade to the right, figuring more straight lines, less work.

13. oldgoatroper

oldgoatroper Roper of Goats. Old ones.

Jul 28, 2009
    Alberta

That's a good idea, since most shadows are there for effect only and don't do anything for legibility..

Myself, these days, I only use a shadow to increase contrast between and light-coloured letter and a dark-coloured background -- I no longer (or very rarely) use shadows under dark letters over light backgrounds as this actually makes lettering harder to read.

14. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    I agree. It adds nothing to the layout and you are right - makes it much harder to read.

15. smott

smott New Member

Apr 25, 2007
    When my dad was teaching me to letter over fifty years ago, he always considered the light (or sun as he called it) to be coming from the upper right. So the shadow was always to the lower left. He always offset the shadow from the letters just a tiny bit. Try the same letter both ways. You will notice that the offset letter seems to have a crisper edge and more dimension. I hand lettered that way for over thirty five years and continued doing it with vinyl. I still think that if you put two signs side by side (one vinyl, one hand lettered) that the hand lettered sign wins every time. Just my opinion. But I also realize that to turn out enough production to be profitable, you have to go vinyl. Besides the fact that lettering enamel is pure crap today.

16. sardocs

sardocs Active Member

Jun 17, 2005
    pender harbour bc
    I routinely handpaint drop-shades beside vinyl cut letters. It's usually quicker, and I can mix up a slightly darker version of the background colour to use. It gives a way more natural looking shadow than a vinyl computer generated one does. I usually put it to the lower right. but some layouts look better with it shifted over to the left. I think it has more to do with the overall design.

17. Mike Paul

Mike Paul Major Contributor

Dec 30, 2003
    NJ
    I prefer a top left light source. Shade down to the right.

18. Baz

Baz Very Active Member

I pretty much always do my shadows bottom left. In "my mind" the word is jumping forward/ahead. Maybee its a positive line thought i'm trying to go with i don't know. It's just how i prefer it. I have nothing against other directions either.

19. John Butto

John Butto Very Active Member

Jan 9, 2007
    down to the right

Just looking at my lunch beverage and the Budweiser logo is down and to the right.

20. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    I want to have lunch with you :smile: