• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lettering size for banner?

binki

I have a request to do a banner (it will be outsourced) that needs visibility and readability at about 200 yards.

What size should the lettering be to make it readable?

TIA

rdm01

According to a lettering chart, for readability you are looking at 14" letters, for maximum impact you would need something at least twice that big.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Many.... and I mean many of our signs are viewed from 400' to 600' distances. Your 200 yards becomes 600 feet. You can get away with a sans serif at about 10" or 11" no problem. Serif.... go up an inch or so more. :wink:

Pat Whatley

Don't forget that font selection, spacing, and contrast are just as important as size when determining legibility.

dbmophead

according to the united states council (ussc), they say that 15" letters have a max readable distance of 630' (210 yards) and will have the best impact at 120' (40 yards) you can do a quick search online and find the cart with all the information. hope it helps

binki

thanks, i did a search in this forum for text size and came up with nothing i could use.

thanks all for the info. the sign is a temp banner for an event but the distance from the building to the gate is about 200 yards and it will be about 16' off the ground.