• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Letters on a waterfall?

Jean Shimp

We have been asked to quote installing stainless steel fabricated letters on a stone monument that will have cascading water falling behind the offset letters. The letters are 18" upper and lower case, 1" thick. There will be stainless steel studs connecting the letters to the stone wall with a 3" offset space between the back of the letters and the stone. The wall is stacked ledge type stone veneer. Architect says "pin mounts to be coated with water protective coating". Anyone ever do letters on a waterfall? Looking for advice on how to do this. Thanks.

JBurton

Signtologist
Hmmm, I'd push for aluminum letters with all aluminum hardware, stainless is great, but not impervious to rust.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Hmmm, I'd push for aluminum letters with all aluminum hardware, stainless is great, but not impervious to rust.
Had a similar situation, but I pushed client for bronze lettering, painted black. Compared to bronze and stainless, aluminum is the most susceptible to streaking.

OP- use 304 stainless, and you should be good.

JB

James Burke

We have been asked to quote installing stainless steel fabricated letters on a stone monument that will have cascading water falling behind the offset letters. The letters are 18" upper and lower case, 1" thick. There will be stainless steel studs connecting the letters to the stone wall with a 3" offset space between the back of the letters and the stone. The wall is stacked ledge type stone veneer. Architect says "pin mounts to be coated with water protective coating". Anyone ever do letters on a waterfall? Looking for advice on how to do this. Thanks.
Honestly, it's not the hardware you need to be concerned about. 304 stainless will not need a protective coating.

This sounds like a very cool project, but before your contractor gets all gung ho, have them consider THE REAL POTENTIAL ISSUE: water hardness. Excessive calcium, iron and other minerals will build up on stainless and defeat the purpose. Chlorine (municipal water sources) may also leave a spotty residue as the water splashes.

JB

gnubler

Will they be turning off the water during the install, or will you get some splash time? :D

I quoted an install recently to update some sign faces on a monument structure that's flanked by a fake waterfall pond with big rocks all around. Customer decided to handle the install and I was fine with that.

James Burke

Probably, but isn't the streaking a product of...
Streaking is primarily due to acid rain, but I'm sure the aforementioned will also play a factor. I've also seen overspray from lawn chemicals causing issues...even for bronze.

JB

JBurton

Signtologist
Then I say we go full copper, it'll get that earthy green tarnish pretty quickly, and they can polish them up pretty easily for a refreshed look whenever they like...