• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Letters on metal siding...no access behind

phototec

Everyone has their own method obviously, but I use studs (with nuts for plumbing the letters on the low spots in the siding), VHB tape, and silicone.

It's also a good idea to either drill the holes slightly over-sized or wallow them out a little with your drill bit. The threaded studs can hang up on the metal and make it impossible to push the stud all the way in without pounding on the letter - at which point you risk damaging the letter, dimpling the face if the stud is close to it, etc. This is especially true of the siding has any flex to it, which it often does. If using 10-24 studs and installing in metal, I use a 7/32" bit.

:goodpost:

Moze, Good point on the over size drill bit, I will have to try that next time!

:rock-n-roll:

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Years ago, I ruined a foam letter because the stud hung up in the hole in metal siding just like the OP is describing. I couldn't get it to go in further and I couldn't get it out (there were three other studs that were basically all of the way in).

It's one of those things you only have to do once to learn your lesson.