Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lexan and Acrylic pricing

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing, Pricing Etc.' started by Sign Up Graphics, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Sign Up Graphics

Jan 8, 2007
    Pricing seems to be the most difficult aspect of this business.

My question to any of you
    How does a vinyl shop use the pricing/formula to price a Lexan or Acrylic face only.

I can't see it in the sign pricing guide (SignCraft)

Your advice helped. :smile:

Tags:
  2. john1

john1 Guest

Substrate cost x2 or x3, Production time to make the vinyl and sign, Any artwork time for the layout = Price

3. Wraptrick

Wraptrick Member

Jul 16, 2012
    I like to break most stuff down to a $/sq ft figure. Depending on how much your lexan/acrylic costs, I'd be about $12/sq ft.

4. Sign Up Graphics

Jan 8, 2007

:thankyou:

5. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    $20 PSF general, then up or down due to complexity :thumb:

6. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    $12SF? that's crazy cheap

$20-22 SF here

7. Wraptrick

Wraptrick Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Yeah, I guess it depends on what thickness of substrate we're talking about... I may be closer to yours if it was a thicker sheet, and I installed it.

8. J Hill Designs

Sep 24, 2004
    $20 PSF PLUS install...

9. john1

john1 Guest

I know right lol I didn't say anything prior but even I would be in the $20 psf range. Standard is 3/16" thick

10. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    20+ sq. ft. plus installation

11. mudmedia

mudmedia Active Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Do you guys cut your own acrylic? I can get it a lot cheaper in standard size rolls 38" and 52" but if I get it cut down it is like 3-4 times the price.

12. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    I don't pay anything extra for cuts. And if i cut it myself, it's not smooth, it's jagged.. won't work

13. mudmedia

mudmedia Active Member

Aug 15, 2008

must be nice. The 2-3 places local either will not cut the width down or if they do it is like triple the cost at least.

14. john1

john1 Guest

Dang, My vendor does as many straight cuts on a sheet as you want for like $4 per sheet.

15. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    I hate doing these.
    I hate cutting them. I hate when my supplier cuts them too.
    I don't stock the translucent vynull and I hate buying it in.
    I hate applying it.
    I hate designing a print for one and subbing it out.
    I hate how the prints never look as bright as the translucent.
    I hate how after the business fails the new owner expects me to re-use the same substrate.
    So if I am going to do one, I charge enough so that I merely just loathe doing it or let the customer find some hack who will do it for 2X the materials cost or $12/sf.
    Love....Jill

• Like Like x 1
  16. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    it depends on what you are doing with it. if you need to buy a 4' x 8' sheet for a 2' x 2' sign face, you cn price by the square foot and hope you will find a way to sell the rest or you can buy a 2' x 2' or charge for the entire sheet and the left overs can be sold by the square foot since the original 2' x 2' customer paid for the sheet, there's a good profit in that so if you never sell any of it, it was paid for. (really long sentence!)

17. john1

john1 Guest

Whenever i have to buy something by a 4x8' sheet, I always charge for the entire sheet because i don't see the sense in having pieces laying around for no reason. Some will debate this but it's how i do things and i am sure i am not the only one. I am here to make money on every job, Not lose because someone wants a 2x2' piece from a 4x8' sheet. We aren't talking about coroplast here.

Jill, Whomever you get the prints from should be able to print them with double density i believe it's called and that means it will lay down more ink causing the prints to look opaque at night. Wyld GFI does my outsourced prints and always looks nice at night. When my supplier cuts acrylic it's always smooth too.

18. J Hill Designs

Sep 24, 2004
    I charge for all or part of a full sheet depending on useable drop. I do electric faces quite often, so having a 4'x6' drop is useable.

edit: however, for a 2'x2' face, it would be WAY more than just $80.

19. signpost-boston

signpost-boston Making America great, one sign at a time.

Jul 18, 2010
    Boston, Ma.
    1/2 " clear acrylic

actually don't mean to blow up this one, but, 1/2 clear acyl in clear is pretty outrageous. i am trying to get a peice 7" tall by 58" wide and i guess i gotta buy the whole sheet. sigh.:banghead:

20. Malkin

Malkin Very Active Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Augusta, ME
    Gemini will usually give you a good rate for basic rectangular shapes (not logos), sometimes it depends on the salesperson, I have had it go both ways.