• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lexan and Acrylic pricing

Pricing seems to be the most difficult aspect of this business.

My question to any of you
How does a vinyl shop use the pricing/formula to price a Lexan or Acrylic face only.

I can't see it in the sign pricing guide (SignCraft)

Your advice helped. :smile:

J

john1

Substrate cost x2 or x3, Production time to make the vinyl and sign, Any artwork time for the layout = Price

Wraptrick

I like to break most stuff down to a $/sq ft figure. Depending on how much your lexan/acrylic costs, I'd be about $12/sq ft.

Wraptrick

Yeah, I guess it depends on what thickness of substrate we're talking about... I may be closer to yours if it was a thicker sheet, and I installed it.

mudmedia

Do you guys cut your own acrylic? I can get it a lot cheaper in standard size rolls 38" and 52" but if I get it cut down it is like 3-4 times the price.

HulkSmash

Do you guys cut your own acrylic? I can get it a lot cheaper in standard size rolls 38" and 52" but if I get it cut down it is like 3-4 times the price.

I don't pay anything extra for cuts. And if i cut it myself, it's not smooth, it's jagged.. won't work

J

john1

must be nice. The 2-3 places local either will not cut the width down or if they do it is like triple the cost at least.

Dang, My vendor does as many straight cuts on a sheet as you want for like $4 per sheet.

Jillbeans

I hate doing these.
I hate cutting them. I hate when my supplier cuts them too.
I don't stock the translucent vynull and I hate buying it in.
I hate applying it.
I hate designing a print for one and subbing it out.
I hate how the prints never look as bright as the translucent.
I hate how after the business fails the new owner expects me to re-use the same substrate.
So if I am going to do one, I charge enough so that I merely just loathe doing it or let the customer find some hack who will do it for 2X the materials cost or $12/sf.
Love....Jill

Marlene

it depends on what you are doing with it. if you need to buy a 4' x 8' sheet for a 2' x 2' sign face, you cn price by the square foot and hope you will find a way to sell the rest or you can buy a 2' x 2' or charge for the entire sheet and the left overs can be sold by the square foot since the original 2' x 2' customer paid for the sheet, there's a good profit in that so if you never sell any of it, it was paid for. (really long sentence!)

J

john1

it depends on what you are doing with it. if you need to buy a 4' x 8' sheet for a 2' x 2' sign face, you cn price by the square foot and hope you will find a way to sell the rest or you can buy a 2' x 2' or charge for the entire sheet and the left overs can be sold by the square foot since the original 2' x 2' customer paid for the sheet, there's a good profit in that so if you never sell any of it, it was paid for. (really long sentence!)

Whenever i have to buy something by a 4x8' sheet, I always charge for the entire sheet because i don't see the sense in having pieces laying around for no reason. Some will debate this but it's how i do things and i am sure i am not the only one. I am here to make money on every job, Not lose because someone wants a 2x2' piece from a 4x8' sheet. We aren't talking about coroplast here.

Jill, Whomever you get the prints from should be able to print them with double density i believe it's called and that means it will lay down more ink causing the prints to look opaque at night. Wyld GFI does my outsourced prints and always looks nice at night. When my supplier cuts acrylic it's always smooth too.

J Hill Designs

I charge for all or part of a full sheet depending on useable drop. I do electric faces quite often, so having a 4'x6' drop is useable.

edit: however, for a 2'x2' face, it would be WAY more than just $80.

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
1/2 " clear acrylic

actually don't mean to blow up this one, but, 1/2 clear acyl in clear is pretty outrageous. i am trying to get a peice 7" tall by 58" wide and i guess i gotta buy the whole sheet. sigh.:banghead:

Malkin

actually don't mean to blow up this one, but, 1/2 clear acyl in clear is pretty outrageous. i am trying to get a peice 7" tall by 58" wide and i guess i gotta buy the whole sheet. sigh.:banghead:

Gemini will usually give you a good rate for basic rectangular shapes (not logos), sometimes it depends on the salesperson, I have had it go both ways.