• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

License Plates

Dentafrice

Now, I'm far from a sign shop yet, but I'm 16 starting up and getting into this.

I've been making custom license plates lately, and if any of you have made them before, and have used vinyl to make them..

What is your recommended vinyl to use on these plates (most likely the alum ones, or the mirrored acrylic).. and..

What is your finishing touch, do you clear coat it? Add clear vinyl over top? or what.

Trying to make a product that won't come off due to the weather or being pressure washed over.

Stupid questions probably, but we all start somewhere and I don't want to make a mistake now.

Mosh

If you are painting them, yes spray a clear over when you are done. Vinyl, use a high performance 3M or Oracal 751 and there is no need to clear over. We print all of ours now and laminate for protection.

Jackpine

Vinyl like GT Intermediate from H&H sign Supply would be good. It is 3 mil thick and permanent adhesive. It would take a beating. If you wanted more durability you could use clear over. I am guessing you cut vinyl. Spray clear coat would be a waste of time.
P.S. welcome to the group.

Dentafrice

Okay just checking. I'm wanting to start ordering some more vinyl once I get some more capital to invest in this.

Been wondering if 651 was fine for this, wasn't sure. Thanks! :)

Mosh

4-6 year outdoor life. Used for promotional type signs. SOME do use it for vehicle lettering.

Dentafrice

Do you think 651 will be nominal for what I'm doing right now, just license plate vinyl.. and just window stickers for cars (names, etc, and custom designed artwork).

Mosh

Yes, we do tons of window decals for cars and a few plates. 651 will be just fine for stuff like that.

HeavyHitter

Agreed 651 will get the job done. Most of the Custom License Plates I make are all printed on vinyl. For someone just starting out cut vinyl is going to be cheaper. IE... plotters are a lot cheaper.

There is a lot of good information here on Signs101. Take your time and read as much as you can.

Dan

SignManiac

I prefer the aluminum blanks. I lay down a base coat of automotive black gloss. I then cut a paint mask using 2mil cast vinyl and reverse weed. I apply a quick size and gild with 23k German gold leaf and then engine turn the gold. I'll outline with a brush in a dark burgundy and then finish with an automotive UV clear coat for protection. Some letter styles I might use a cast drop shadow instead of an outline.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Guess my age is showing, but I really consider 'Custom' license plates when you hand paint them or air brush them. That's what I consider custom.... when someone else can't duplicate it. Merely using die-cut vinyl and just lettering up a license plate.... just doesn't hit me as being 'Custom'. Anyone can do that. Now that digital printing is around.... it can look custom again.

149motorsports

i use oracal 651 or shinerite, the plates taking a beating from rocks, dirt,ect on road, so most people really dont even pay attention to them after their on i found out lol.!!

were you buy your plates from and how much?