Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

License to make and sell vehicle manufacturer's decals

Discussion in 'Vehicle Graphics' started by IGraphicsPA, Jul 2, 2010.

1. IGraphicsPA

IGraphicsPA New Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Hi everyone, I am trying to find out how to get licensed to make and sell vehicle manufacturer's decals. I haven't had much luck with online reaserch. Phoenixgraphix.com has a license to do so and I've have clients bring decals and decal kits from them to my shop for us to install. Having that license would really increase our business capabilities!
    Thanks!:banghead:

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Welcome from up the road.................................

3. sjm

sjm Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Your point is? You are without license?

4. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA

What are you asking or indicating ??

5. sjm

sjm Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Gino check I edited my post before you replied.

6. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    If you want to buy those licenses, be prepared to pay some very serious up-front cash...

7. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    His point was that this is the OP's first post, so he felt a welcome was in order...

jackass

8. IGraphicsPA

IGraphicsPA New Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Yes I am trying to get licensed for it, well I would like to but I can't find any good info on how too. So I"m asking, does anyone know or have a license for producing copyright decals by vehicle manufacture's? How do I get my hands on that special piece of paper or whaever they give you to do this??
    You know examples, make and be able to sell chevrolet decals, ford decals, etc., etc.

9. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I'm gonna be nice one more time to you, sjm. Whether or not you are a citizen of this country or this hemisphere..... you better stop sticking your fat head in where it doesn't belong.

He is located geographically about 25 miles or so to the southeast of me. It was his/her first post and I was merely being neighborly.... something I find you lack :thread

10. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    Interstate - you need to contact each manufacturer's licensing division. They all have one... but the odds of actually acquiring that license at a price that will make it cost effective are very small.

8 years ago the price to license the Nascar logo for a product started at $150,000 upfront plus a percentage of the sales. I would imagine the car manufacturer's would be even more.

11. sjm

sjm Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Hey Gino, sorry to disagree with your tripe. You could have said if you need my help I am 25 miles near you.

Though, English is not you first language, I suspect?

12. IGraphicsPA

IGraphicsPA New Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Haha ok, thanks for the greeting, but seriously, I'm on here for something important. I need professional info. Thank you Bigdawg, I assumed that there would be money involved, but I'd rather put out the cash than get my *** handed to me by the owner of the copyrighted material. It would boost my sales etc. Do you know anything more on the subject?

13. IGraphicsPA

IGraphicsPA New Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Thanks Bigdawg, my question came a little late you answered it before I asked. haha You think it would really be that hard? I will look into it more. But if you ever have any more infor in the future, give me a shout. Thanks!

14. weaselboogie

weaselboogie Very Active Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Us
    Again, I'll reiterate. This is the OP first post; Gino was welcoming him (which is fairly common to do on this board) and pointing out a geographical similarity. They're called manners. Let me introduce you to them.

15. rcook99

rcook99 Very Active Member

May 25, 2006
    NE
    Well I have to ask this question. What is stopping you from creating your own stripe kits for the same cars? I mean if someone comes to you and asks you to stripe a 2010 camaro why not measure and make the stripes yourself. I would not say you are breaking any copyright laws you created the artwork from scratch. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

I do realize that you are not going to be able to use the super bee emblem but as far as just stripes go I don't see an issue.

16. IGraphicsPA

IGraphicsPA New Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Well yeah, I can do striping. But I don't want to be limited to that. An example, I have a client who wants the bird on his hood of his trans. I cannot reproduce that without stepping on some toes and breaking rules.

17. SurfaceSigns

SurfaceSigns Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Surrey, BC Canada
    Gino doesn't like it when you edit.

18. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Let this Op get his answers from the other posters without letting sjm taking yet another thread down the tubes.

19. CheapVehicleWrap

CheapVehicleWrap Very Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    That "little piece of paper" is going to cost you many pieces of paper that I'm quite sure you won't part with. In other words, to save you a TON of time... switch focus.

20. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Major brand licensing typically involves:

• A six figure advance payment.
    • Prior approval of each and every item you want to produce with samples submitted.
    Unless you are going to be mass marketing, it is doubtful that anything will come of your inquiries.