• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

licensed copies? or not?

threeputt

Purchased an existing business recently. On the two computers that came with business are Corel 12 and Corel X3.

Since the previous owner is not available to ask, and we can't find any manuals, program disks, etc. how can we learn if these are legit copies?

I've called Corel several times. They keep saying the "wait time is three seconds" and then you hold and the call gets dropped.

Also tried the online chat, no reply to my questions.

Ideas?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I would say that if you don't have the original CDs and an install S/N, that you should not consider them legit for you to use ... whatever the status of them was with the previous guy.

SignManiac

At the top of your menu bar. Under the Help option. Click on it and then click on About CorelDraw and you will find your license number and other information...

threeputt

Ok, here's what I see:

The program is licensed to the person I purchased the business from. Both of them. I do see that she has no PIN number recorded because she (apparently) never bothered to register it, so I would imagine that the company will not extend any support.

I have those Serial Numbers written down. We think we shouldn't have both programs on the same machines. We'd like to dump CorelDraw 12, but don't know if that's advisable yet. (since we have no way of getting it loaded back on if we need it)

Fred, is it your opinion I need to dump these now, even though I do have what appears to be valid S/N numbers?

Wish I could get to the bottom of this. If only I could get through to Corel.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Ok, here's what I see:

The program is licensed to the person I purchased the business from. Both of them. I do see that she has no PIN number recorded because she (apparently) never bothered to register it, so I would imagine that the company will not extend any support.

I have those Serial Numbers written down. We think we shouldn't have both programs on the same machines. We'd like to dump CorelDraw 12, but don't know if that's advisable yet. (since we have no way of getting it loaded back on if we need it)

Fred, is it your opinion I need to dump these now, even though I do have what appears to be valid S/N numbers?

Wish I could get to the bottom of this. If only I could get through to Corel.

What I was referring to was having the original CDs, User Guide and installation serial numbers. The fact that the About Corel displays the S/N that was used when it was installed does not in and of itself guarantee legitimacy. So if the previous guy never registered it and you don't have anything other than an install on a PC, you have no proof of ownership of a valid license. He might have installed it from a friend's discs or downloaded it from a torrent site. Or it could be totally legit but you don't know that ... nor can you prove it if you ever had to do so.

What we're also talking about here is what you're comfortable with. Lots of folks would just go ahead and use it. Technically, you shouldn't. It is at the very least an unsupported and non-upgradable copy.

As to having both 12 and 13 installed, I have version 8 and 13 on my workstation. Both are legal copies and I find having version 8 useful for reference and file conversion at times.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why is it, only the honest people ask these questions ??​

I would use it for a while and see if you like anything about it. Consider it a testing ground or checking it out before you buy it.

You should be able to find enough information out here or on their own site perhaps to get a little more familiar with it. If you like it, buy a full blown version and use the older one like Fred does for converting things.

threeputt

It is at the very least an unsupported and non-upgradable copy.

Thanks for the detailed response. Here's what I've since found out directly from the Corel people. (finally got through)

I gave them the number and for what it's worth, they said they will allow an upgrade from it to X5. Right now that upgrade is on sale for $179.00 (you are correct, however, in that it is not supported) They were able to tell me that it was purchased copy from a store and not a downloaded copy from their site. (so the disks and manuals etc, should exist somewhere)

Gino, we've purchased an engraving shop with a 15 year history. All graphic files that the company had used are Corel Draw files. I'm somewhat familiar with Corel, having used it off and on for things like Fred says, files conversions,etc. It is useful that way.

I think we simply going to upgrade to X5 and be done with it.

Thank you to all who helped me with this decision.

SignManiac

For the $179.00 upgrade price, I'd just go ahead and purchase the upgrade and be done with it knowing you're legal and have some support. It's a great program and money well spent.