• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Licensed sign hanger question for NYC

eforer

To all you NYC guys:

If one is installing a storefront sign under 6 square feet (which does not require a permit) in NYC, are the services of a licensed hanger still required. I've gotten multiple answers from the DOB.

ProWraps

6 sq/ft. isnt that a bumper sticker. run by and stick it on. rofl.

we as an industry have reached a new low. researching a 6 sq/ft install. loves it. gives an ENTIRE NEW MEANING to firing a customer.

let the next guy worry about the permits, the codes, and the unions to make sure that the 6 sq/ft piece of vinyl meets all the city, county, state specs. god forbid it peels off and falls down and kills someone. that would be the worst $1.95 ever spent.

eforer

6 sq/ft. isnt that a bumper sticker. run by and stick it on. rofl.

we as an industry have reached a new low. researching a 6 sq/ft install. loves it. gives an ENTIRE NEW MEANING to firing a customer.

let the next guy worry about the permits, the codes, and the unions to make sure that the 6 sq/ft piece of vinyl meets all the city, county, state specs. god forbid it peels off and falls down and kills someone. that would be the worst $1.95 ever spent.

Ok, not super helpful.

NYC is the toughest city to get Variances and permits. Unless you want to hire a permit broker whom knows exactly who to grease properly to get the papers. Then it is an issue of time and money

They also do not have the manpower or resources to regulate signs and or graphics.

We have gotten variances that only allow for say 300- 400 s/f of banner or mesh on a building and have put up graphics that are 10 times that size.

Been doing that for years and only had one issue. Even then we took the mesh down snapped a photo of showing compliance of the variance and then put it right back up the same day...