• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

licensing agreements

CentralSigns

I was woundering if anyone has some experience with licencing agreements. We have added garments to our products available within our sign shop. I have a customer that does a huge amount of t-shirt business, and he asked if we could print some of his licence stuff. Not many the same more like 100`s of 3-4 offs. Any advice would be appreciated. thanks Always see the mall guys with a bit of everything in their sales collection.

CentralSigns

Anyone have any ideas. Do most shops buy the rights or are a lot of them infringing on design copyrights, and getting away with it.

rjssigns

They are stealing most if not all. Every one of the "sticker" shops in the mall has failed as well as ones not in the mall.

Wife and I mark the start date when they open and make bets on the day they close. Never takes more than a few months.

Case in point: Harley Davidson licenses NOTHING yet the walls are covered with H-D stickies. Same for Green Bay Packers, John Deere, Arctic Cat, etc...

Try making a RedBull sticker. Even employees are not allowed to have them. They are ruthless in their pursuit and vicious in court. RedBull even has a snitch page on their website.

Jack Knight1979

I have a great deal of knowledge regarding licensing and intellectual property.

Is your client the licensee, or the licensor? Typically if a licensee required a third party to manufacture the product, the licensor will require you to sign some contracts stating that the IP is their property and that misuse of their IP for your gain will get you in HOT water. If you're just the manufacturer for the licensee you don't need to worry about anything except signing off with the licensor and following their third party manufacturing guidelines.

CentralSigns

Its more like we would like to pursue our own licensing agreements but for a small volume of shirts. Is it worth it to get mixed up in this stuff. Customer/buddy currently buys licensed products, paying a little more for each shirt for the licence. His competition runs a small tshirt/embroidery shop and just printed a whole bunch of the same shirts he was selling without an agreement. Its all DC comics type stuff.