• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Life size cut out stands

MGraphics

Hey all,

I have a customer that wants some life size cutouts of some people done up on 6mm PVC. I need to find a way to attach a stand to them so they dont fall over when someone walks by... they will also be outside.. any ideas would be much appreciated!!:Canada:
:thankyou:

skyhigh

I'd make some easle backs out of .040 Aluminum. Put a 1" bend on the edge and attach it to the PVC with VHB.

.040 aluminum? Of course the bend will stiffen it up, but .040 won't hold itself up.

About the only fool proof way of keeping them up, would be to mount them to the wall. Or make an easel out of mdo, with a base between the pvc and the back of the mdo, and throw a sandbag on top of that.

GoodPeopleFlags

Have you already made them? If not, Georgia Princo makes them. But they're cardboard. But come to think of it, they may have other options besides cardboard.

MGraphics

Thanks for the input guys... i was thinking maybe cutting a small channel up the middle of the back and glueing another triangle peice in there and then making a base for it...

Bill Modzel

I use 6mm coro cut to an easel shape. I split one side of a flute about an inch from the edge and adhere it to the back with good DF tape. I'll take another 2" strip and with velcro on the ends which are also slit to bend, attach one end to the figure and the other to the easel fold out.

If you need some more weight, cut a coro triangle and cut and fold two edges. Attach it to the easel wing at ground level with velcro strips and place whatever weights you might use on that base.

I usually make my figures routed out of gatorfoam instead of sintra so they are easier to handle and support but I have done a couple with sintra also.

I use 6mm coro cut to an easel shape. I split one side of a flute about an inch from the edge and adhere it to the back with good DF tape. I'll take another 2" strip and with velcro on the ends which are also slit to bend, attach one end to the figure and the other to the easel fold out.

If you need some more weight, cut a coro triangle and cut and fold two edges. Attach it to the easel wing at ground level with velcro strips and place whatever weights you might use on that base.

I usually make my figures routed out of gatorfoam instead of sintra so they are easier to handle and support but I have done a couple with sintra also.

+1

Mosh

Make some stands out of PVC and glue it on with....PVC glue. Simple. This glue is sold a most hardware stores.
It is the stuff they glue these round pipes of PVC together that supply water to ....oh never mind. Have a welder form you up a large metal frame from mild steel. Then take the frame back to your shop and grind all the welds smooth and sand the whole frame with 500 grid paper. Then take the frame to get media blasted so it is clear of all comtaninates-izables. Next take the frame to get powder coated. Once back from powder coating dry fit you graphic to make sure to will still fit. Once it is to you liking install at the customers place and TA-DAH, you are ready for the "reveal". Good luck JR, see you on Discovery!!!

7oaks

Go to a flower shop and acquire one of their stands for funeral sprays. You should be able to fabricate a stand.

Ken

marcsitkin

Creative Banner sells some stands just for this purpose. They can have sandbags put on the bottom brace for stability. Just used them on a job, they seemed to work well. About $15 each.

GP

I've used a 2-3 foot section of 1" galvanized pipe, permanently attached to the back of the cutout with pipe strapping. Then, created a 24"x24" (approx) MDO base and screw mounted a base flange on it. So the base is removable for transport. Seems to be working well.

Good luck,

GP