Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Life size cut out stands

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by MGraphics, Jan 19, 2011.

1. MGraphics

MGraphics Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Hey all,

I have a customer that wants some life size cutouts of some people done up on 6mm PVC. I need to find a way to attach a stand to them so they dont fall over when someone walks by... they will also be outside.. any ideas would be much appreciated!!:Canada:
    :thankyou:

Tags:
  2. SignLogic

SignLogic Member

Jan 9, 2011
    I'd make some easle backs out of .040 Aluminum. Put a 1" bend on the edge and attach it to the PVC with VHB.

3. skyhigh

skyhigh Major Contributor

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    .040 aluminum? Of course the bend will stiffen it up, but .040 won't hold itself up.

About the only fool proof way of keeping them up, would be to mount them to the wall. Or make an easel out of mdo, with a base between the pvc and the back of the mdo, and throw a sandbag on top of that.

4. BlueFishDesigns

BlueFishDesigns Very Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
    Have you already made them? If not, Georgia Princo makes them. But they're cardboard. But come to think of it, they may have other options besides cardboard.

5. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Attach a 2" U-Channel and drive it into the ground about 2 feet.

6. CheapVehicleWrap

CheapVehicleWrap Very Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    I investigated something similar last year. When I found out what they sold for I had to pass.

7. MGraphics

MGraphics Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Thanks for the input guys... i was thinking maybe cutting a small channel up the middle of the back and glueing another triangle peice in there and then making a base for it...

8. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    you may want to talk to SignManiac, if I remember he has a business selling cutouts.

9. Bill Modzel

Bill Modzel Active Member

I use 6mm coro cut to an easel shape. I split one side of a flute about an inch from the edge and adhere it to the back with good DF tape. I'll take another 2" strip and with velcro on the ends which are also slit to bend, attach one end to the figure and the other to the easel fold out.

If you need some more weight, cut a coro triangle and cut and fold two edges. Attach it to the easel wing at ground level with velcro strips and place whatever weights you might use on that base.

I usually make my figures routed out of gatorfoam instead of sintra so they are easier to handle and support but I have done a couple with sintra also.

10. John Butto

John Butto Very Active Member

Jan 9, 2007
    holders

You cut .5" dados and a slight angle on bottom of triangles for a slight tilt.

11. KetchikanSignpro

KetchikanSignpro Member

Sep 24, 2009
    +1

12. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

13. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    Make some stands out of PVC and glue it on with....PVC glue. Simple. This glue is sold a most hardware stores.
    It is the stuff they glue these round pipes of PVC together that supply water to ....oh never mind. Have a welder form you up a large metal frame from mild steel. Then take the frame back to your shop and grind all the welds smooth and sand the whole frame with 500 grid paper. Then take the frame to get media blasted so it is clear of all comtaninates-izables. Next take the frame to get powder coated. Once back from powder coating dry fit you graphic to make sure to will still fit. Once it is to you liking install at the customers place and TA-DAH, you are ready for the "reveal". Good luck JR, see you on Discovery!!!

14. 7oaks

7oaks Active Member

Aug 12, 2004
    LOUISIANA
    Go to a flower shop and acquire one of their stands for funeral sprays. You should be able to fabricate a stand.

Ken

15. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Member

May 6, 2010
    Creative Banner sells some stands just for this purpose. They can have sandbags put on the bottom brace for stability. Just used them on a job, they seemed to work well. About $15 each.

16. GP

GP Very Active Member

Dec 12, 2007
    SC
    I've used a 2-3 foot section of 1" galvanized pipe, permanently attached to the back of the cutout with pipe strapping. Then, created a 24"x24" (approx) MDO base and screw mounted a base flange on it. So the base is removable for transport. Seems to be working well.

Good luck,

GP