• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lifting media rolls

you design

Hello all I am just wondering if any of you have found an easier way of lifting the media rolls on and off the printer rack? Its not so much the weight of the media I cant handle its more so the awkwardness of it all without smearing hand prints all over it...

Any tips or some type of handle or something that might be available would be great!! Also if anyone can recommend some good clips rather than using tape to bind the rolls as sometimes the tape leaves a slight residue on the media.. Thanks!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
54" rolls?
What kind of printer do you have?
We have a 54" Mutoh and the rolls mount on a shaft with a slide-on collar on one side.
I have all my stock sitting up on one end.
I drop the pipe down the center and then flip the roll end to end to set the sliding collar.
Pick it up by the collars and set it on the hangers never having to touch the vinyl.
Works pretty well for us.
The plastic brackets on the printer can't hold a full banner roll so we run them backwards off the take-up reel.

wayne k
guam usa

dlndesign

Depending on the core size, you typically waste that first roll-around of the material when you are loading up the printer. That just removes the possibility of finger smudges and dust. When Storing, I just use a standard tape, but only tape on the left and right edges, not center, or your definitely having to advance that roll to avoid the residue. Another useful item is the bag that the material typically comes in, save it, and slide it back over for longer term storage if you don't go through that much material. Typically clips will leave indentations in the media, and you'd have to cycle through a few layers before they would be gone completely. If tape isn't your thing then a cheap set of elastic hairbands also work, just find one's that are smooth and that wouldn't possibly scratch your material. Hope that helps.

As for lifting, never really had that issue. But you could make some half moon carts with rollers that you could lay down some packing foam on to lay your material on to move it around the shop. Also depends on your access to the back of the machine.

you design

I have a 54" Roland

What size rolls you talkin' here?

With 54" rolls I just grab them end to end. Anything exposed around the outside of the roll is garbage anyways so I don't worry about hand prints.

Blue nitrile gloves are handy though when handling media/substrates that you don't want full of greasy paw prints.

63" rolls are beyond my wingspan so those I cradle in my arms until I drop them, usually on the printer. :ROFLMAO:

It also depends what kind of printer you're using as they will likely have different methods for media handling on the back. Our one Roland uses roll holders while the other one has then built in the bars in the back.

Hi Pat we probably have the same printer :) I just find it hard on your own to slide in the plastic rollers into the media whilst holding it in the air with. I thought maybe someone has invented some kind of strap with handle system to make life easier

you design

I use a cotton gloves to prevent dirt, oils, etc from handling, Yellotools speedclips to hold the rolls tight, and Yellotools Twister stands for the print media. I dust with a Swiffer when loading and can start printing from the front of the roll every time. I've never seen a mark or dent from the speedclips.

http://yellotools.us/SpeedClips.html
http://yellotools.us/Twister.html

In one of the pictures for the Speed Clips it shows they have one finger in there like they are going to lift the media using the clips.. Surely it wouldnt hold if you lifted it using the clips?

iSign

In one of the pictures for the Speed Clips it shows they have one finger in there like they are going to lift the media using the clips.. Surely it wouldnt hold if you lifted it using the clips?

I think it is just to keep the end from unrolling

and the finger hole is for removing the clip

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Hi Pat we probably have the same printer :) I just find it hard on your own to slide in the plastic rollers into the media whilst holding it in the air with. I thought maybe someone has invented some kind of strap with handle system to make life easier

I think some old school help is needed here

charles-atlas.jpg

wayne k
guam usa

you design

Home made app tape dispensers

Just made a couple of app tape dispensers 600 wide & 300 wide from some MDF and the coil stands that you get when you buy Arlon media.. Cheap alternative!! r.jpg f.jpg

CanuckSigns

For taping, I order in 1.25" wide rolls of premask, it won't leave and residue behind like normal masking tape does, and at $2.25 for a 300' roll it doesn't break the bank.