• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lighted sign...I think I can do this?

mpn

This is why we have an old sign can setup as a light table. 3'x10' add legs and 1/2" acrylic top and tada light table. Makes for super easy registration of backlit prints.

ams

New business would like a quote for this lighted sign box. Box appears to be in good repair and lights work. I've done lettering on existing boxes but I have not replaced the substrate yet. I think this looks like a good project to tackle for me as a first timer. Size is approximately 9' x 22". Easily reached with a couple ladders.
1. What material would you recommend for the substrate?
2. Looks like the ends come off and I just slide the material in?
3. Logo colors are red and blue, American Flag type logo
Thank you!

Only use Polycarbonate, not acrylic. Acrylic will fade. For the vinyl you must use translucent vinyl. Yes if it's a standard cabinet, remove a retainer and slide out. The sign face must be about 3/8" shorter than the cabinet to fit. I recommend measuring the old sign face first.

Stacey K

I like making signs
WOW! This is all great information, thank you everyone for your input! There's no old face to measure so I'm on my own, should be OK with all these great tips! I'll post once complete.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Another helpful tip, take pictures of the measuring tape when you do this. Sometimes I write stuff down and can't read or understand what I wrote, or it's been 2 months since I surveyed and can't find the paper.

20200310_135506.jpg

MikePro

I always heard the opposite, use acrylic when you can, it's less expensive, lights up brighter and doesn't yellow from the sun like Polycarbonate does.

+1
pigment fades & chalks, not the acrylic that is completely inert and won't yellow in the sunlight like polycarb does.

d fleming

Nice clean cabinet for your first! Looks like you have a lot of good info already, just so you know, that is the last last clean, unrusted, not a trash dump for old and broken bulbs, no rat or squirrel nest having cabinets you will ever see doing maintenance, lol. I kept a small, old bucket truck for years doing just face replacements, cleaning, etc. Nice little niche to make some income doing stuff the big boys don't want to spend time on.

Richard2717

No way the UL inspector got a look at that sign before it left the shop. I would use plexiglas in this size cabinet. Much brighter in the long run. I cut 1/2" shy both directions to allow for plastic expansion if done in cold weather and 1/4- 3/8 if done in hot weather. Definitely remove an end retainer to get the face measurement since some extrusions are way thicker than others

Caw

Minister of Percussive Maintenance
New business would like a quote for this lighted sign box. Box appears to be in good repair and lights work. I've done lettering on existing boxes but I have not replaced the substrate yet. I think this looks like a good project to tackle for me as a first timer. Size is approximately 9' x 22". Easily reached with a couple ladders.
1. What material would you recommend for the substrate?
2. Looks like the ends come off and I just slide the material in?
3. Logo colors are red and blue, American Flag type logo
Thank you!

You could do vinyl lettering(on clear) and look for white polycarb to apply that to. I would also split this job in half....easier to work with and plexi and poly come in standard 48 x 96 sheets usually and you will pay a lot of extra trying to get a 9 x 5 ft sheet just to take 9 in off the side.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Good luck finding any clear anything right now. Also, where do you get poly at 48" x 96" ?? All of our distributors comes like 52" x 100".

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No way the UL inspector got a look at that sign before it left the shop. I would use plexiglas in this size cabinet. Much brighter in the long run. I cut 1/2" shy both directions to allow for plastic expansion if done in cold weather and 1/4- 3/8 if done in hot weather. Definitely remove an end retainer to get the face measurement since some extrusions are way thicker than others

Why ?? Other than I don't see a disconnect, what's wrong with it ??

Richard2717

Gino
All wiring is required to be in enclosed raceway or conduit with less than 1/16'' gap allowed. There is a disconnect on the same end of the sign as the UL label.
Richard

Richard2717

Good luck finding any clear anything right now. Also, where do you get poly at 48" x 96" ?? All of our distributors comes like 52" x 100".

Gino,
If you have a Harbor Sales near you they carry poly on the reel as well as sheets. they also have white and clear plexiglas in 8'-12' lengths and deliver on their own trucks. (clear is out of stock at moment)

Richard

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino,
If you have a Harbor Sales near you they carry poly on the reel as well as sheets. they also have white and clear plexiglas in 8'-12' lengths and deliver on their own trucks. (clear is out of stock at moment)

Richard

Ahhh....... no they don't. They don't make a true 48" x 96" as you indicated. It is 52" x 100" It's always been oversized, unless you're buying off the roll.

Richard2717

Ahhh....... no they don't. They don't make a true 48" x 96" as you indicated. It is 52" x 100" It's always been oversized, unless you're buying off the roll.

Clear comes in true 48 x 96 and oversized, I have a sheet here now. The white was available in true 4x8 but I see now looking at the site it is oversized only.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino
All wiring is required to be in enclosed raceway or conduit with less than 1/16'' gap allowed. There is a disconnect on the same end of the sign as the UL label.
Richard

Yikes, I did not see that disconnect. Blended in too well on my screen. As for the wiring, she just has to put an .040 cover over that, if they'd get picky. But as you said, it should be hidden. Good eye.

As for your piece which is a true 48" x 96", it must be 40 years old, but I don't believe we were talking about clear for this little of a sign. For those same 40 years, it's always been oversized to my knowledge. Never got poly at a true 4 x 8, unless you order it and they cut it for you. Sorry.​

Stacey K

I like making signs
Yikes, I did not see that disconnect. Blended in too well on my screen. As for the wiring, she just has to put an .040 cover over that, if they'd get picky. But as you said, it should be hidden. Good eye.

As for your piece which is a true 48" x 96", it must be 40 years old, but I don't believe we were talking about clear for this little of a sign. For those same 40 years, it's always been oversized to my knowledge. Never got poly at a true 4 x 8, unless you order it and they cut it for you. Sorry.​
Do I need to get this inspected by someone before I can put the sign blank in? Also, is the acrylic something I can cut myself?

Billct2

If you're just putting in the face there shouldn't be an inspection required, but you never know. You can cut acrylic with a jigsaw or circular saw. Just use a good blade.