• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Lighted sign redo

sl_riverrat

A customer wants a 11'8 x 4' x8" double faced lighted flex face sign redone. They say the are not going to light it. It was covered with cheap black vinyl when the previous store closed. Not very carefully either. I'm not a lighted sign guy, but have done a lot of work for this customer. Since it will not be lighted would a heavier banner material work ok?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
A customer wants a 11'8 x 4' x8" double faced lighted flex face sign redone. They say the are not going to light it. It was covered with cheap black vinyl when the previous store closed. Not very carefully either. I'm not a lighted sign guy, but have done a lot of work for this customer. Since it will not be lighted would a heavier banner material work ok?

My rule is not to say a banner lasts over 1 year. I would re-do it using new flexface. The banner will sag, become brittle and not hold tension over time. Flexface will last MUCH longer and look flat like a polycarb sign if done correctly.

This customer was a hotel and says they needed to "debrand" within about two days of calling me. We wrapped the flexface sign with this banner and turned the light-switch off. Was supposed to only be up for a month but they still have it hanging at it's been 8 months. Still looks like the day we hung it so we'll see how long it lasts.. You can tell though that it's not perfectly flat, it's an 8'x16' I think.

ZOuVDaVfO5rlPLEZpUHceDlwuoRARhMEbh33PDA_df6sH0G1_7oAMNHZ_mKXha_pBXBh5JDeLGtRVqGNWyRpV2iron7JbrpNnG5ii1XJo6qVR2k-XhVev3IA8QTgoxwNApaw_HrDHnw=w353-h669-no

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Like he said, add the needed supports and hang some ACM panels up there. They come in 150" x 61", so one panel per side will do it. Just make sure there is enough support to hook into for strength. Ya sure don't want that coming down and decapitation someone.

henryz

You probably better of doing flex face if that's what was there if you have a retainer or not to use ACM, flex face is not that much more in cost. Do you have a picture of the sign you can also tell them that they can light it in the future if they like not with ACM.

sl_riverrat

The retainer should be there, the face still looks very tight. When I went up to look at it I was under the impression that it was going to be some sort of acrylic. It was just above zero and the ground around the sign was ice and very hard snow. Tried getting the some of the screws out to see how it was all held together inside. Between being cold, and a little unnerved on the ladder and screws being frozen/rusted in, I failed. I came home and got online to see what I could learn about the fastening system. Thanks for all the advice. Like I said this is not my normal area.