• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lighted Sign

wildergraphics

I am fairly new at sign making and have been asked to make my first lighted sign. I would like any input on how to and the materials to use. My customer has a New York Life office and is asking for a double sided, lighted sign. It needs to be lite from the inside. The electric is already in the wall where it needs to be hung. but I am not sure what kind of bracket I should make or buy to hang it from the building. I have it in my head how I should make it but could really use your opinion and ideas.

:thankyou:

Tracy
Wilder Graphic Design & Signs

SignManiac

Carefully review your liability insurance. You may need it if you don't install the sign correctly. Not that you can't do it given correct advice, but if things should go wrong, insurance is critical.

signage

Check the codes in your area and see if the sign needs to be UL listed. If so you are going to need to have someone that is UL licensed to build it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Getting it made correctly is the easy part. You're gonna have to find a legitimate installer to hang it.

Also, you'll have to get permits and prove to the codes department that you are in fact legally allowed to make something that can potentially cause fire and loss of life should the smallest of details go wrong.

You'd be better off subbing the job out to someone that is already well versed in this type of sign and getting a finders fee or a percentage of the job.​

Wanting to get experience on something as dangerous as this type of sign is not something you do in the field. You must learn it through the proper channels.

Ask yourself two simple questions....
  • Why someone that is in a profession such as your client is wanting a total novice building his/her sign ??
  • Did you lead your client astray by telling him/her you could in fact do this type of work ??

Be careful because it's your ass on the line should something go wrong. There's a reason the insurance in this line of work is so high. It carries a lot of responsibility.

Ken

Hi Wilder...the above responses from Gino etc are all in your best interest.
You are willing to learn..right?
Local codes and bylaws are relavant in discussing this install.
The actual constuction of the building will determine how large a sign you can "hang".
You need to access in internal framework of the stucture to attach a bracket or frame.
There are a lot of variables...It's like peeling an onion to get to the bottom..
Can the wall withstand the added weight and motion where you attach it to the building? This is significant. Your not just dealing with the weight of the sign.
Wind shear, snow/water load, temperature variables all come into play.
Be brave, tread lightly..carry a big insurance policy...
Cheers!
Ken