• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lighting for my new shop

Kemble

I wasn't sure where to post this so I posted in General Sign making, an admin can move if necessary.

I just moved into a new construction home with an L shaped unfinished basement ( 28' x 15' & 36' x 15' ) for a total of 960 sq/ft. I am currently in the process of framing the outer walls so I can run electrical and drywall. I will then be putting in a 2' x 2' panel drop ceiling. I am interested in going with the 2' x 2' LED lights for my lighting. My work load consists of 75% vinyl decals and 25% printing however I want my lighting to cater 100% towards the best light for printing. I have a Mutoh 48" ValuJet. The drop down ceiling will be apx 7ft high.

My questions for you guys is:

1) How many lights will I need ? How far apart should I put them?
2) What lumens should I get? The 2' x 2' LED lights come in Medium, High and very high
3) What color temp? 3500, 4000, 4500, 5000 ?

Thanks in advance !!

Kemble

This is what I came up with. Let me know if you think it's too much lighting or not.
attachment.php

hrmm, don't know why it posted it rotated... can't figure out how to rotate it back.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 153

bigsign

Led Lights

Contact your local electrical supply, not Lowes, Ask for their light expert. They have software that can tell you how bright the light will be for your shop. I would put in T-5 lights over my work bench areas. That is what we have over are table and they are bright.

Bly

We just moved into a new place and installed LED lighting throughout.
They are really bright - that looks like too many on your plan but get your electrician to work it out.
We went with 5000k and the colour is fine - no major surprises when taking prints into sunlight.

OldPaint

sometimes.............you never have enough lite.......with the layout you have i dont think that would ever happen. with as many fixtures as you have..........
the proper thing to do...........IS HOW YOU HAVE THEM SWITCHED.
iam thinking at least 3-4 seperate switches........staggered in such a way as you have some light everywhere all the time, but when you really want light you have a switch to flip and will give you more light in a specific area.
OR if your not doing anything in one end, why have full lighting there........just 1 or 2.........then when your working there....you can opt for full lighting.

Kemble

The nice thing about the LED lights that I'm looking at is that you can have up to 32 LED lights on one 15 amp circuit and still be under an 80% load. Since I'm only going 1/2 that, 1 switch would be fine as far as a circuit load is concerned. Splitting them up over 2-3 switches is an option as well and something I've already taken into consideration.

player

Led's are so expensive right now. On a smaller scale I put in a couple of 105 watt full spectrum 5000k compact fluorescent bulbs. They give off the equivalent of 420 watts. An led lamp with the same specs was 4 times the price.

OldPaint

i have a T-5 4 ft double light in the garage(24 X 30 X16 tall)in one corner and it gives as much illumination as my 8 foot of T-8 4 bulbs..
i also was doing a bathroom reno and added 2 pot light LEDS($34.00 FOR 2)65 WATT in the shower area.......and I AM IMPRESSED!!!!
NOW i want to add some in the kitchen))))))))))))))))))))

bigben

I have a custom LED lightning division. Few months back, I've contacted my manufacturer and custom built my own ceiling light for my shop. It's a 2x4 panel, 85w, 100lumens/watt, dimmable, color temperature adjustable. Everything is controlled via a remote control or my phone with 4 zones programmable. It's not UL certified yet, but I'm working on it.

Here is a small video of the product (sorry, the text is in french).

[video=youtube;ggUJ58fpB3A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggUJ58fpB3A&feature=youtu.be[/video]

About your plan, depending of the power and lumens of your panel, you could cut the quantity in half at least. I would centralize the light depending on where you put your work tables and equipment.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I could be wrong, but that looks more like the schematics for a department or grocery store, then a workshop. Have the lights on all at once, still seems a waste if you don't need it. I'd put one in each section on one switch so you can maneuver in the dark, but 2 or 3 more switches to light up a specific area if need be.

I know you didn't ask this part, but how easy is it, getting your machinery and stuff down there, let alone media and substrates down a turning stairway ?? You have no outside entrance ways marked that I could see. That's a lotta lifting and carrying of all sorts of things.

Kemble

I could be wrong, but that looks more like the schematics for a department or grocery store, then a workshop. Have the lights on all at once, still seems a waste if you don't need it. I'd put one in each section on one switch so you can maneuver in the dark, but 2 or 3 more switches to light up a specific area if need be.

I know you didn't ask this part, but how easy is it, getting your machinery and stuff down there, let alone media and substrates down a turning stairway ?? You have no outside entrance ways marked that I could see. That's a lotta lifting and carrying of all sorts of things.

Gino,

There are 3 windows that are 4' x 4' indicated by the double line around the outside perimeter. We carried my ~150 rolls of material down through the window in a chain, 3 guys up top, one guy in the basement. In a working environment I get about 2-3 rolls a week delivered, I just carry them down myself. My machines & work benches were carried down the stairwell. The stairwell is about 40" wide. My 53" laminator had to stay in the garage :( I tried to convince them to put the laminator into the basement before they put the subfloor in but they said it was a liability issue and they wouldn't :banghead:

I will most likely split the legs of the basement into 2 switches. 8 lights on one switch and 9 on the other. The basement will also serve as my computer area at night when I get some free time to get some gaming in and I wont be needing all that light, might just do lamps for at night.

Kemble

Led's are so expensive right now. On a smaller scale I put in a couple of 105 watt full spectrum 5000k compact fluorescent bulbs. They give off the equivalent of 420 watts. An led lamp with the same specs was 4 times the price.

Not as expensive as they use to be. I'll spend more money on the ceiling tiles and drop ceiling framework than I will the LED lights themselves. Here's the ones I'm looking at getting: http://www.greenledzone.com/dlc-2x2-led-panel-gl-lp0606-p/gl-lp0606.htm Only $79.20 each and free shipping over $200. Dimmable capable and can get them in 5000k color.

rjssigns

Can always put in motion sensors by your work areas. Never have to throw a switch again. Of course as fast as I move I'd always be in the dark:rolleyes:

LED Ceiling panels

There is a local company, they import from Korea, that has panels, 2x2 or 2x4. They are very bright and you would likely need 1/2 the number in your diagram, but they would design it for you, free I would think.
Company: IGT Lighting
igtlighting.com
888-325-3557
We are installing some outdoor ones they have.
Ask for Andrew, and tell him I sent you.

Kemble

There is a local company, they import from Korea, that has panels, 2x2 or 2x4. They are very bright and you would likely need 1/2 the number in your diagram, but they would design it for you, free I would think.
Company: IGT Lighting
igtlighting.com
888-325-3557
We are installing some outdoor ones they have.
Ask for Andrew, and tell him I sent you.

thanks for the contact info, I sent an email