• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lighting

grampa dan

We built our shop ten years ago. The lighting installed back then was four banks of T12 fluorescents and two high bay lights. That technology is now obsolete. The old style ballasts are now replaced with electronic ones which we have found to have a much shorter life. The old bulbs are getting harder and harder to find and are no longer being imported into Canada. Fluorescent bulbs loose a significant amount of their strength as they age and this too is readily apparent in the shop. Three of the twelve lights are out. Yesterday one of the high bay lights failed. It is getting pretty dim in the shop and rather than cobble things together once more we are thinking of a total light replacement.

There are many choices out there and some government grants to help some out with the upgrade. There's two options we are considering.

One is to replace the fixtures and bulbs with the newer, more efficient T8 style fluorescent fixtures. The other is to go with all solid state LED lighting

I've never been a huge fan of fluorescents, with their flickering light nor the buzzing noise they generate. High bay high pressure lights are inefficient, expensive to operate and the buzzing is even noisier than the fluorescents. they also are not instant on - taking up to five minutes to come on to full brightness.

The other option is to go with LED bars and LED high bay fixtures. They are expensive but offer significant savings in energy costs and promise long life. LED's don't make any noise and although they do lose some of their brightness over time it isn't nearly as bad as fluorescents which can loose more than 40% in a relatively short time.

LED's are definitely pricy and still in development but I believe they are now are reliable and powerful enough to be a real option. We installed 125 LED pot lights and 180 feet of LED valence lights in our new house that we recently built. I love the light they provide. They also generate very little heat which is a big deal in summer.

Going with T8 fluorescents and new high bays will run about $1,400-1,500 for the fixtures and bulbs. The LED's would weigh in at three times that cost. The labor to install them is the same in either case.

I believe that fluorescent lighting is a transitional technology and LED's are the future without a doubt. The question is... does the future begin now?

-grampa dan

phototec

It's alway a trade-off between the higher cost to move into the LED's now that cost 3-times the T8 stratergy or go with the T8 now and wait for the LED price point to come down as it has steadily been doing for the last several years.

If you have the money (3 times) to go with the LED's now, go for it, most of us don't have the money to do that now, and I believe the price point will be inline with the T8 pricing in the future as more and more manufacturing facilities come on-line.

I can't make this decision for you, but for me NOW, I would just go with the T8, and changing dimmming bulbs is very reaonably priced, at least here in the US.
LED's would be great, but I can't really see the 3 times up pricing....IMO!

:smile:

player

For what it's worth I have a single 100w equivalent LED bulb in an open trouble light style portable fixture with a big clip so I can attach it where I am working. This LED bulb gives off the nicest, most natural outdoor sunny day light I have ever seen. I use it all the time in different locations because it is so nice. I recommend at least trying one of these bulbs before making a decision. Perhaps a combination of LED and fluorescent is the way to go...

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I replied in this recent thread about this...

http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?114137-Shop-Lighting

Essentially if you have standard 1 or 2 bulb 8 foot T12 fixtures your most cost effective option is to retrofit them to T8 or T5HO. Mine were all 2 lamp T12 and I converted them to 2 lamp T5HO. They are dramatically brighter, near double the lamp life (the Eiko lamps I got are rated at over 30000 hours), use less electricity, much easier to handle shorter lamps, etc. I did look into LED but for a good amount of light - the costs would have been incredibly high. The return on my investment would have been 15 years. Also they actually do generate a LOT of heat which is why they need massive heatsinks - for high ceilings where its already pretty warm the reliability is questionable.

I will update the other thread with some more info. I just ordered the rest of the kits to convert all of them I have (about 50 of the fixtures).

signage

Dan you migjt also want to looking iin to induction lighting.

They last long and their light loss is also low. Just another option, some of the manufaturers make retro fit kits for Highbay. they are also very energy efficiant.