• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Like Wrapping with a Hot Trash Bag

ngates

I have a customer that uses a dense red background for their vehicle wraps. I have completed a couple and each time is like wrapping with a hot trash bag or outside in 100 degree weather (No Air Egress, Not Repositionable, stretches with the slightest touch). I have several more to do, so I am hoping to have a solution before the next installation. I do not have issues with other colors. I am using a CMYKLcLm printer to get the red, printing on 3M IJ180Cv3 with 3M 8518 lam. I am waiting 24 to 36 hours to out gas. Installing inside with 75 to 80 degree temp.

Any suggestions of what is going on? Maybe out gas more??

ucmj22

If you are letting them sit FLAT 24-36 hours you shouldnt be having any problems. Ive done rich black wraps on 3M180, with no problems. are you leaving it rolled during the outgassing?

ngates

Yes, loosely rolled up. Flat for me is almost impossible. Next vehicle is 85 feet of vinyl then at some point two 35 foot rv's, not to mention a Hummer and a cargo van.

I've been doing this for 4 or 5 years and never really seen this. I know it is not a bad batch of material because I have used several different rolls of film.

Malkin

Recommmend more airflow for drying. Somewhere there is a thread with directions on how to put together a couple of buckets & fans for airflow when space is limited.

Also 75-80 install temp seems a little warm.

Scott Reynolds

You can hang some 1" conduit from the shop ceiling to hang your prints with a fan to move air. This will speed up the out gassing. You can print some 12" test panels and laminate at different intervals to see how long those problem colors have to dry at their saturation levels.

Fastsigns2041

Fastsigns Palm Harbor
Letting solvent prints dry/outgas flat doesn't really work since the gas is heavier than air. Letting them sit, loosely rolled upright in the "fan bucket" is the best idea. (other than latex prints)

COOKY

I had the same prob when I first switched to 180. I found out it was both a profile problem laying down too much ink plus outgassing.