• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Line in print Gerber Edge 2

Tel

Hi Everyone
This is a weird one, well it is to me. In the past I have seen what happens when a head gets blocked and a fine white line is left in the prints, in fact used an edge for a few months and avoided that particular part of the head, my problem is I have a line in the print as if the head was blocked but it only goes through to the white for about 1/8inch at the start then it appears to be ok but on inspection close up you can see that the colour has been put down but there's a line in it but some colour is down, when looking at the thermal ribbon you can see the line there as well. At present it's hardly noticeable but I wonder if it's a warning that the head is going to break.
I know to use nothing but Gerber ThermApprove wipes and clean it regularly, I am aware that using other alcohol wipes can leave residue of water and dirt which blocks the head.
At first I though it was a scratch which is what it looks like but I have checked the bars, the edge of the head is fine and changed the plastic squeeges but can find nothing. I have checked the head with a magnifying glass but see nothing unusual. It does it with all ribbons and when I say white I am referring to the white vinyl.
Has anyone came across this before.
regards
Tel

Marlene

sounds like a bad pixal. does it do it at all heat settings? sicne it seems to get better, it may be it isn't warming up right away. just guessing but it sounds like that is what is going on

jfiscus

Rap Master
You can use any other lint-free wipe along with 99% ISO alcohol, using lesser percentage alcohol can leave residue from the water content.
Sounds like you have a pixel going out though, you may have to waste a foot of print before each print with a "block" of solid color to help warm up the pixel?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You might benefit from remaking all internal electrical connections. Unplug the Edge and remove the sides to gain access.

Tel

sounds like a bad pixal. does it do it at all heat settings? sicne it seems to get better, it may be it isn't warming up right away. just guessing but it sounds like that is what is going on

Yes it does it at all heat settings Marlene I have tried playing about with them Thanks
regards
Tel

Tel

You can use any other lint-free wipe along with 99% ISO alcohol, using lesser percentage alcohol can leave residue from the water content.
Sounds like you have a pixel going out though, you may have to waste a foot of print before each print with a "block" of solid color to help warm up the pixel?

Thanks for your input I am aware about the 99% ISO alcohol but I use nothing but ThermApprove from Gerber, as running a foot of block color to warm up tried that doesn't make much of a difference, if I was doing a bunch of stickers the first one in the that line would have maybe 1/4inch of white at the beginning them it goes OK (well passable) but the rest of the stickers in that horizontal line the start would have 1/8th white.
Thanks for your input I think your right I have a pixel going out.
regards
Tel

Tel

You might benefit from remaking all internal electrical connections. Unplug the Edge and remove the sides to gain access.

I will try that Fred and report back, I think I have a pixel going out. Thanks for your input.
regards
Tel

Tel

Tried this yesterday and gave the machine a good clean while I was at it even took the top cover off and checked everything, on test no difference so resigned to the fact that a pixel is on it's way out. Still usable as only the likes of us would notice it, it just leaves a tiny white mark at the start of each sticker in that horizontal plane.
Used the Edge today to run off a batch of stickers and it was really warm in the shop in fact I was sweating and it wasn't from physical exertions, anyway I digress the stickers were better than the test yesterday, only a couple had the short white line at the beginning the rest were fine, when taking the ribbon cartridge out you can see were the line is distinctly but the print on the vinyl is fine I can't see anything wrong with the color.
Obviously the heat in the shop has made some difference but it's not often we get that sort heat in this part of the world in fact it's been warmer here today than all summer.
By the way I have tried putting the heat settings up on the edge earlier but it made no difference, suppose I had better get ready for a new head as it can only get worse.
A big Thank You to you all for your input
regards
Tel

Billct2

I'd be happy to fly over and check it out...I can leave from eithrr New York or Boston, you pick when you send the tix.

Jase

I was talking to an engineer last week here in the UK and the price of heads has doubled.

Good luck

Browner

Have you tried different vinyls? You mentioned using different foils. Maybe there's a bit of an indent in the vinyl you're using? :help