• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Linear Encoder Failed!

Turbophein

been having issues the last month with the bi-dir being off. cleaned the encoder strip and it fixed it for a week or two, then it happened again, repeat steps and now to today where its really off even after a cleaning, and the encoder strip test FAILED! couldn't find much info online. i read a post that said i could maybe flip it over, doesn't seem that expensive of a part, has anyone change there own before? only used reg household 70% alcohol and roland swabs to clean it...

another weird thing that started 2 days ago is that the printer has started to print cropmarks, etc right at the very edge of the vinyl to where the vinyl guides and pinch rollers go right over the print? it has never done that...

edit:

just tried it again and it registered, then i did a calib on it and that worked also. so i then tried a b-dir test print. half way through the printer stopped and i got a 0110 error. time to buy a new strip and laser reader i guess!

Turbophein

ok i just removed the strip adn cleaned it real good and installed it. already did the calibration, doing a bi-dir test print now. my fingers are crossed!

easy than i thought. go to the cap top screen and open them so you can move the carriage around when you need. then2 screws and just slide the strip out of the lasers and reverse to install.

Jack Knight1979

I had a horrible problem with my encoder this last spring. I kept cleaning the encoder with little to no improvement.

I ended up taking out the encoder reader/sensor and cleaned it with iso. Waited for it to be completely dry, then reseated it. The trick is to CAREFULLY verify that you are not touching the encoder on either side. When you re-install. The width of the reader is very narrow.

Turbophein

I had a horrible problem with my encoder this last spring. I kept cleaning the encoder with little to no improvement.

I ended up taking out the encoder reader/sensor and cleaned it with iso. Waited for it to be completely dry, then reseated it. The trick is to CAREFULLY verify that you are not touching the encoder on either side. When you re-install. The width of the reader is very narrow.

just started my first print. so far so good. crop marks are straight and it started printing after the pinch rollers like normal! we will see...

CS-SignSupply

Cleaning the cut carriage cable guides may help as well... As the clear mylar guides turn color from ink overspray and metal dust, they can shed this debris on the encoder and your media causing different inconsistancies.

Turbophein

Cleaning the cut carriage cable guides may help as well... As the clear mylar guides turn color from ink overspray and metal dust, they can shed this debris on the encoder and your media causing different inconsistencies.

i've had this issue with the ribbon cable and mylar sheets, more than once has the carriage got hung up on the ribbon itself and caused an error. i struggled with the problem for almost 2 months until i finally got the placement of specifically placed tape strips to cure the problem. been working flawlessly since but the tape has worn threw and left residue like you mentioned which i am sure was most of my problem. i purchased the new mylar sheets, ribbon cable and black rivets months ago for when it fails for good, until then the tape band-aid has worked to keep the mylar together when moving, the worse is when you do the cut sheet. the carriage moves super fast!.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Cleaning the eye is very important, as it cannot read a clean strip if it has a little piece of lint on it. Hopefully you're good from here.

Also, a few drops of 3-in-one or sewing machine oil on the carriage rollers/bearings (work it back and forth and wipe off the junk that comes out) will work wonders in quieting down your machine & stopping carriage errors.