• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lines in printing any suggestions? (sp300)

CustomRide

Hi guys I just got a sp300 and have been doing some test prints on it. The printer is several years old but was serviced right before I bought it with a new print head and pump. I run the eco sol max inks.

I tried to do a search on here before posting and could not find much.

I was wanting to know have any of you had trouble with lines in your prints? To give more detail the lines are more obvious with the black inks but are shown in all the colors. The edges are sharp, the test prints are are good all nozzles look in order and straight.

Also it seems like it is worse when the printer has sat for a day then it gets better as the print goes on. I have been doing a regular cleaning everyday. I am new to this printer so just thought I would throw it out there.

Im using colorrip right now if that helps and I am printing vector files, and scanned images and both put out the same result.

After I do a few test prints of random images it seems as though the print looks good at about 3-5ft away.

Inks are fresh on the printer.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Banding (lines in the direction of the printheads) has many potential causes. It helps to isolate them one at a time; therefore, in order:

1) Nozzle Problems - Two basic types, nozzle outs, and deflections. This is very easy to check on the Roland. Print out the Test Print pattern onto flat media (test print button on the printer control panel). I would then scan and post this for others to review.

2) Paper Feed - If the nozzles are performing, the next item is the media feed that should be reviewed. Different media have different thicknesses. Media feed compensation is available to vary the distance of feed to accomodate the thickness of the media being used.

3) Chromatic Banding - Can be caused by the ink firing order being inverted, as is the case when printing in bi-directional modes.

4) Ink Limit Banding - Caused by too much ink being lain down for the media to accomodate. Heater settings can compendate for this to an extent.

If the print quality appears to improve as the job progresses, I would look at nozzle issues as the likely cause. Solvent printers tend to work best when they are used, and have more problems when they sit unused for extended periods.

Bob

Ken

Does this happen in all resolutions?
I have a hard time to make a print without band in the low-res(hi speed) mode.
Go to 720 (standard) to see if it improves.
Vheers!
Ken

CustomRide

This is going to sound retarded but I think I got lucky. The vinyl wheel inserts that allow the roll of vinyl to spin on the two roller bars behind the printer fell out halfway and was putting tension on the vinyl thus making it more difficult to pull it through the printer......whewww. Sorry for the vague post though I new it could be multiple things. I have it backed up to a wall with a cover over the printer cause of the dust where we are at so it was not easy for me to see the vinyl in the back unless I pull the cover off all the way.

Thanks for the responses guys!! This forum is awesome!:signs101: