• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Linux in the sign industry

signcrafters

I suggested and sent an introduction article to Signs Of The Times about Linux in the sign industry.
I had the idea of writing about everything from install to design/layout software to server setup and local services that I have used for 10+ years in the sign industry.
I heard nothing back.
If enough people on this board are interested, I will put the time into writing the whole series and post it.
If not, I understand and I won't waste my time.

Thoughts?

It would be very interesting for me as Linux user for a 12+ years and sign maker for 4+.
I would really appreciate if you share with us your experience.

signcrafters

and that is the problem... no support for industry leading software.
No Flexi for Linux, no Versaworks for Linux.
But as far as a server system, cost-to-feature, Linux is great.

That being said, in certain situations, Linux could be used for design and the cost is VERY low.

WildWestDesigns

and that is the problem... no support for industry leading software.
No Flexi for Linux, no Versaworks for Linux.
But as far as a server system, cost-to-feature, Linux is great.

That being said, in certain situations, Linux could be used for design and the cost is VERY low.

Well, if you are running legacy versions of those software, you can usually get it to run in WINE. In my mind, if you are trying to hold on to that older bit of software, chances are you'll be able to do that with Linux and still have an OS that will allow you to run modern parts. I doubt you'll ever get authorized ports to Linux. Market share just isn't there for it

signcrafters

They won't port software to Linux because there isn't market share and there isn't market share because shops can't change to Linux because there are no Linux ports.
-----
I looked into WINE for an older version of Flexi. Was told by SAi that there would be a problem with the hardware key but never tried it for myself.

WildWestDesigns

They won't port software to Linux because there isn't market share and there isn't market share because shops can't change to Linux because there are no Linux ports.
-----
I looked into WINE for an older version of Flexi. Was told by SAi that there would be a problem with the hardware key but never tried it for myself.

FlexiSign Pro 8.1v1 got a gold rating for Wine 1.2. I'm not a Flexi user, so I don't know the particulars. I think that I read that even Ai CS6 has a gold rating on Wine, but have to use an installation work around.

My next rig would probably be a dual boot rig, use Linux for legacy software and I'll have to keep Windows for my digitizing software (only software that I use that requires a security device as well).