• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Liquid Laminate

Crazyaods

I printed a banner with my hp z3200. It was on scrim material and decided to put liquid laminate (aerosol can) on the banner. I put two coats and let it dry for about 24hrs. Went to touch the banner where the ink is laid down and it was tackie. Did I put to much? Should I just use one coat? Any info is greatly appropriated.

MikePro

how old is your can of liquid laminate?
are you using solvent laminate with water-based prints? water based laminate with solvent-based prints?
is it really humid in your shop?
have you ever liquid laminated with success before this?
where do babies come from?

MikePro

ok, so you have an aqueous printer so you'll want solvent-based laminate... which I'd bet you do, if it comes out of a can. feel free to verify.
money's on an old can of laminate and/or you're not allowing the print to fully dry prior to lamination, which may come as a result of high humidity in your shop.
and babies come from a perfect combination of martinis + mommy's + 9 months & 30sec.

Crazyaods

The humidity is probably the biggest factor. Right now in New Orleans its BAD. I have a can of Clear Jet on its way. I am giving that a try. I let the prints dry about 2 hrs before applying. We have a pressure lamination machine also. We have tried that but it leaves little air pockets between the print and laminate. This is because of the scrim being rough. If I leave that in the sun for a day they go away. Dont really have time to let every print get baked outside. I thought babies came from storks that drop them off. :Cool 2:

MikePro

yeah, sheet lamination sucks for banners.
you've most likely got water evaporation from your print still sweating through your liquid lamination.
maybe give the print a little extra love with a heat gun prior to spraying? or maybe after spraying?
idk, either way... that humidity's gotta be killin' ya.

Crazyaods

We talked about hitting it with the heat gun but didn't know if it would make a difference. Thanks for the Tips.

Baz

If you must laminate a banner. Waterbased Cleashield is the best IMO.

Use a decent quality paint roller. Before dipping it in the liquid, roll it over a couple of pieces of scrap vinyl (adhesive side!). Then lay down some laminate evenly over your banner.

Crazyaods

The laminate on a roll leaves a haze on the print. Since the scrim is rough on the print side it doesn't go on clean. I have a pressure laminator. I put the print in the sun for a few hours and the haze cleared up. I don't have a few hour for each print. Do you have a suggestion on the roll lam?

jokingscroll

Does your laminator have heat capablities? if so get a hot melt or low melt 10 mil a 2/8. That should have enough glue to cover the rough surface.

jokingscroll

Only way to use hot melt or low melt laminate is with a laminator no way in the world are you going to be able to use a heat gun and your hand.