• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Liquid Lamination Help

bannertime

Typically when I do a full color backlit sign I use liquid lamination. I use Clear Shield Classic in Matte. I do up to three coats with about an hour in between coats or less with heat assist. It's not scratch resistant at all, but that's not our concern on those types of signs. When I run my hands over it, it feels powdery, but smooth. If you run your nails over it, it'll leave a mark that can be wiped away.

So, I've gotten aluminum printed signs from a vendor that has a coating specified as "UV gloss" that seems tougher than what I'm getting from the CS Classic. Their coating doesn't feel powdery and it has some visible texture. It almost feels glass like. Any ideas what that might be? I've got a one off project that doesn't call for a big enough order to have them make it. I want it to match what they've already received. The vendor simply calls it UV gloss and wouldn't say if it was even UV cured.

Last edited:

Creighton

Do you think it's not a UV resistant liquid clear coat? Like a 3M 9700/9800? Could have been screened or rolled?

bannertime

Do you think it's not a UV resistant liquid clear coat? Like a 3M 9700/9800? Could have been screened or rolled?

I'm sure it's a UV coating. I'm just not sure what it is that makes it more abrasion resistant than the clear shield classic I use. It looks rolled on due to the texture, but I'm also not sure since I've never seen a sample from a liquid lamination machine either.