• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Liquid lamination issues

Vinyl Queen

Hi all,
I've had trouble with my latex digital prints "smearing" when I use liquid lamination on them. Is it the ink? Is it the media? Should I be using a solvent-based liquid on the water-based inks? It would be helpful to find out why I'm having the problem before I do another project.
Thanks!

C

ColoPrinthead

I'm not very familiar with latex but if your liquid laminatior uses a UV lamp to cure, that could be your problem.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Hi all,
I've had trouble with my latex digital prints "smearing" when I use liquid lamination on them. Is it the ink? Is it the media? Should I be using a solvent-based liquid on the water-based inks? It would be helpful to find out why I'm having the problem before I do another project.
Thanks!

Here's the rule: Water based liquid laminate on solvent prints; solvent based liquid laminate on water based prints. Sometimes you can get away with water based on water based or solvent on solvent but that's all you're doing; getting away with it. Eventually it will bite you right in the nalgas.

It makes perfect sense if you think on it for a couple of seconds. If the liquid laminate is a different base than the print then it won't attack the print.

Vinyl Queen

Vinyl Queen

Thanks for the help! In some of my research, it seems that success is also highly dependent on the media used. So if anyone out there has had experience/success with media, I'd love to hear about that as well. So far, my experience has been with 3M, Avery, and HP gloss media and all three had issues. Will try the solvent-water based solution.

Dlandor

Liquid lamination with latex

Latex ink printed does work well with most water based liquid laminates from our feedback, and it is well worth checking with your supplier on the media that they supply that they should know works on latex. Not all liquid laminates work well with Latex but in the main most should, and particularly if you are using self adhesive vinyl on latex. Photo papers will but it is probably best working with matt papers to liquid laminate. surface tension, coating (if any) on the substrate will make possible differences to results. Above all water resistant substrate must be used for liquid laminates that are water based. Generous coating and keying in of the liquid laminate initially while hand rolling will assist in getting the success you are looking for. hope this helps