• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Listen for the possibilities. Just because.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Just because we want to survive the next few months.

My goal is to have two teams, three sign makers on each team. One team of three will be from the eastern half of the USA. The other team of three will be from the western half.

Each team will listen for the possibilities and listen for opportunities to develop viable potential strategies to survive. The final goal/outcome will be for both teams to collaborate and present their findings to the Signs101 community.

My deadline for forming the two teams is Saturday, November 14, 2020.

If you have any questions or any interest in this project, please contact me to apply.

Robert@SignShopWriter.com

Or, https://robertarmerding.youcanbook.me/

Or, cell phone 408-833-9920

More details:
My role will be to moderate and facilitate the Google Meet times.

The next deadline will be Saturday, November 21 for gathering information and beginning to formulate concepts, strategies, and tactics.

All with the intent to make a five minute video presentation to the Signs101 forum on Monday, November 30th.

Here are the four questions we will use to get started:

1. On March 1, 2021, what has to have happened for you to feel happy about your progress?
  2. What are the biggest challenges you’ll have to overcome and deal with in order to make progress?
  3. In your listening, what are the potential opportunities that you have that you would need to focus on and capture to make a difference?
  4. What strengths will you need to capture those opportunities?
The only way to be on this journey is to begin. Our intent is to be of service, of making things better, and of building something that matters. I have never done anything like this before so we shall see. I am looking for a cohort. Fellow Signs101 members who care enough to make a difference. Let's survive the next few months and then some.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
For many of us in the sign making industry, the next few months could be the busiest we have ever been. However, there are others who are having a real struggle and not sure if they are going to make it to next spring.
I am looking for fellow Signs101 members who are willing to think outside the status quo. So many of you already help with technical issues. Now, let's see if there are those willing to help with survival issues.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
What's it pay?
Good question. Mutual benefit. Each of the team members would be helped and in turn, the goal is to help many others.
Just as we observe many Signs101 members helping other members with mechanical issues, I am hoping that we can help with "stay open for business" issues.

SignosaurusRex

Sounds interesting Robert but I'm Out.
To busy minding my customers needs, my own business and my bottom line.
You know the line... "Gotta make Hay while the sun shines". ;)

No rest for the wicked!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Robert, you try but you don't have your finger on the pulse of the sign business. You being an outsider trying to help with no intention of getting in this business isn't going click here. I dont think many people here are worried about their business closing in the next few months, the sign business has been going well for most people. Why don't you open a forum about printer choices and study that...seems a bunch of folks here always ask whats the best printer. And you'll have to offer your participants some $.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Robert, you try but you don't have your finger on the pulse of the sign business. You being an outsider trying to help with no intention of getting in this business isn't going click here. I dont think many people here are worried about their business closing in the next few months, the sign business has been going well for most people. Why don't you open a forum about printer choices and study that...seems a bunch of folks here always ask whats the best printer. And you'll have to offer your participants some $.
Texas_Signmaker Interesting feedback. I respect your perspective and opinion. Your replies to my content are always welcome, even if I have a completely different viewpoint.
Let my pick up on your phrase, "I don't think many people here are worried about their business closing in the next few months..."
I just completed a research project for a sign maker in San Jose. They wanted to know how many sign shops had closed in San Jose, CA during the last six months.
I found that out of a list of 63 shops that were open in February 2020, 16 have gone out of business.
I also know from years of experience that January and February are the slowest months of the year for sign makers.
The coming Jan and Feb 2021 could be quite challenging. So, I am recommending to do a little scenario planning to be ready for whatever comes. Indeed, those who are still open might be extremely busy.
Again, you are welcome to totally disagree.

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Texas_Signmaker Interesting feedback. I respect your perspective and opinion. Your replies to my content are always welcome, even if I have a completely different viewpoint.
Let my pick up on your phrase, "I don't think many people here are worried about their business closing in the next few months..."
I just completed a research project for a sign maker in San Jose. They wanted to know how many sign shops had closed in San Jose, CA during the last six months.
I found that out of a list of 63 shops that were open in February 2020, 16 have gone out of business.
I also know from years of experience that January and February are the slowest months of the year for sign makers.
The coming Jan and Feb 2021 could be quite challenging. So, I am recommending to do a little scenario planning to be ready for whatever comes. Indeed, those who are still open might be extremely busy.
Again, you are welcome to totally disagree.

Sign shops come and go like weeds. You say 16 have closed but what were the 16? Large shops or small ones that have little to no experience in the industry? I've seen many pop up and go out of business within a year or two because they have no business sense or just do a very bad job. If you are half way talented and know how to take care of your shit you'll make it. The ones I see fail had it coming from the start. Do some more research and share with us what those 16 were like

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No, he didn't. I just had a truck problem this morning and am late out the gate.

I have no problem with someone setting up some kinda game or contest or whatever this is. I don't really understand where he's coming from or what his goal might be, as the words are intermixed and one could make a lotta different scenarios outta this thread. For the moment, like with most of Robert's threads, I'll hafta stand along the sidelines, until I catch the drift.

Johnny Best

They are at the post, and they are off, Gino was late getting out of the gate and has a lot of ground to make up. They are at the quarter pole and Tex is taking the inside rail and trying to move a little early. Gino seems to be taking to the outside and trying to establish a position, and ToiletPaper is wiping up the rear.

Johnny Best

"Me and my mate we were back at the shack and had Spike Jones on the box, she said I don't like the way he sings but I love to hear him talk". Up on Cripple Creek, The Band.