• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Little wiggly thing....................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We have a customer who wants the word Décor in it, but she now wants it all in caps DÉCOR. It doesn't look good to me and she is insisting upon this.

How do others of you feel about using this with caps only ??
:thankyou: Gino

Rydaddy

Upper lower case

I tell people that all caps is for a no parking sign. If you want someone to be able to easily and efficiently read something it should be up/lc. Just my overworked and underpaid 2 cents.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I've seen it used all the ways and other than lower case, they all look like crap. Some people have no taste.

Now, this girl is an interior decorator and she's pretty good. However, that doesn't account for someone having taste for chit or changing the rules to fit her own wants. I'm all about 'Personal Preference' and if this is what she wants.... this is what she'll get. It still doesn't justify changing things around because you don't know any better.

She just can't past the fact that she wants that little wiggly thing in there cause she thinks it's cute and very snobbish......... :omg:

:Oops: there....... I said it. I believe that's the bottom line.​

Tim Kingston

Maybe she just wants it spelled properly. This would be the proper spelling in my part of Canada and I would suspect "most of the rest of the world".
However, I agree that all caps is not the most effective way to place emphasis on the word. I like some of the other suggestions but the accent should stay. It's been that way for well over a century. :smile: Tim

The next thing you know, you are going to suggest that centre should be spelled with an "er" . Shame. Shame. :Big Laugh

signswi

Using the accent mark is proper, whether or not caps fits the situation is the real issue but it's probably not worth the effort. Not really appropriate to get all crazy about the mark itself though as it's being used correctly caps or not, as Tim points out.

westpointsigns

If she insists on it you really have no choice but to do it the way she wants it done.

When a something like that comes up for me, I generally make 2 proofs.

One of what they WANT, the other of what they NEED, and just explain to them why they really don't want, what they think they want, and really want, what I am telling them they need.

9 times out of 10....I WIN!

BobM

Yeah, I've seen it used all the ways and other than lower case, they all look like crap. Some people have no taste.

Now, this girl is an interior decorator and she's pretty good. However, that doesn't account for someone having taste for chit or changing the rules to fit her own wants. I'm all about 'Personal Preference' and if this is what she wants.... this is what she'll get. It still doesn't justify changing things around because you don't know any better.

She just can't past the fact that she wants that little wiggly thing in there cause she thinks it's cute and very snobbish......... :omg:
:Oops: there....... I said it. I believe that's the bottom line.

If she wants the "Little Squiggly thing" - well what's a guy supossed to do?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ahhhhhh................

She just left and she agreed that it didn't look right with all caps. I made her a second proof with and without it side by side and she said.... ya know, it does look outa place now that you mention it.

1 the signmakers 0 for the outsiders............ let the pigeons loose !!

Thank you all for explaining your viewpoints. :U Rock: