• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Live miner rescue from Chile

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Looks like they are just about to pull those guys out.
Anyone else following along?
Amazing how the web has changed the coverage of something like this.
It is all over the place with live feeds to blogs to tweets from engineers on site.

Interesting times.

wayne k
guam usa

ProWraps

or cnn.com right on the homepage.

33 rich mofos are about to emerge. and good on em. they deserve it!

i sure hope they have been sending down lots of speed stick and toilet mints!

ProWraps

as a rescue diver, i hope they have a DECOM chamber on site. those guys are at depth. they need to bring them back up under pressure.

phototec

as a rescue diver, i hope they have a DECOM chamber on site.

They were NOT under water (no water pressure), so why do they need a DECOM chamber?

Only 2,300 ft down, I go up to the mountains, 5,000 ft and come down and don't need a DECOM chamber!

ProWraps

ever spend 68 days at that pressure then come back in 10 minutes? scary. we havent ever seen it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boyle's_law

your outgassing in your scenario.

not storing.

do you know boyles law?

if they were pumping gas under there, then great, im all for it. but i would have a DECOM chamber on site just in case.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/as...5721-decompression-needed-chilean-miners.html

I posted that link as not something to prove my theory. i posted it as something to educate. i hope they are ok. there are no pumps as ive read pumping air in there to keep ambient pressure.

you might be absolutely right. im just hoping we cover our bases. no need to interweb fight here, i want the best for these men.

Last edited:

GypsyGraphics

been years since i've been diving, but i would think the rate of ascent (or climb) would be an issue. especially if you have stressed or nervous people who'd probably not be breathing normally or could potentially be holding their breath. it's not like diving where you can just follow your air bubbles up, but i would guess the rescuers would know the proper rate of ascent.

i remember when i first heard about this and they were saying they should have them out by Christmas! that just sounded insane.... even to have taken this long... man you really gotta feel for these guys.

Keith Rae

Air pressure wont be a problem, you travel that distance in elevation on the ski lift at most ski resorts, but I hope they send down chewing gum cause their ears are going to pop. More annoying than a health risk.

Marlene

so glad they are able to get those guys out! I saw the guy who's girl friend asked him to marry her come out and it was so touching to see them hugging.

Si Allen

Exclusive photo of the miners before their rescue!

Attachments

• Miners.jpg
    Miners.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 123

Avanti

Been watching it live on cable TV here in Australia, it's so great they have all come out save, My two brothers work in coal mines here couldnt imagine what their families have been going through.

"Deposit Please"

Eyes where glued to the t.v. Great, rescue operation is successful & everyone made it out alive. Couldn't even imagine what they went through. Now that the rescue operation is over & about a million chants of chile...chile...chile...is over, it's now time to thank the americans for the single most important part of the job, drilling the hole. I just think all the countries that contributed didn't get mentioned enough. Maybe that will come.

GB2

Old Member
I've been hearing the same thing over and over about how the miners are all being rescued after 69 days but nothing more. I haven't had time to research it but nobody ever says anything about how they got down there in the first place or anything else about what happened. Also, how is it that they are all coming up clean shaven like they just went down there yesterday? Did they have a fully stocked kitchen down there..69 days, where did the food and water come from?

Marlene

it's now time to thank the americans for the single most important part of the job, drilling the hole. I just think all the countries that contributed didn't get mentioned enough. Maybe that will come.

a lot of people helped make this happen and I think the thanks they wanted the most was to get all of those men out alive and they got that! no need to run the credits who did what.