Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

live trace problem double cutting

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by joelswork, Dec 2, 2009.

1. joelswork

joelswork Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Louisville
    Hey guys (and ladies),

I have cut tons of vinyl for my little niche banking market, all door hours, installed nationwide for a couple of years now with no problems. Now I have a few Christmas presents that I want to make from some jpg artwork and some freehand work scanned in but am having a problem. I open in in Illy (cs2), live trace, send to cut and bam! it cuts some parts twice. What am I missing (besides an education in Illy and most mental abilities). I'll sit back and just take the punches guys!:thankyou:

Tags:
  2. joelswork

joelswork Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Louisville
    if the arrow only pointed at me!

:iamwithstupid

3. Malkin

Malkin Very Active Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Augusta, ME
    When you live trace (black & white) It creates a set of paths for the black and the white, with neither color overlapping the other. You will find that there are 2 sets of paths right on top of each other.

You will need to ungroup and/or release compound paths and delete the extras.

Fred has a tool that is also helpful with deleting duplicate paths, but I'm not sure where it's stashed at. Hopefully he will see this.

4. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Each of these downloads will aid you in getting rid of unwanted paths.

5. joelswork

joelswork Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Louisville
    Thanks a ton guys!

6. mark-s

mark-s Active Member

May 11, 2005
    SoCal
    Which verisons of Illustrator will this work with?
    Thanks
    mark-s

7. Fred Weiss

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    They're rated to work with CS. I have CS 2 and they both work fine with that. If you're using a later version and have any problem, go to the sites that distribute it and check for a later version. It's free ware and works great.

8. jzorn

jzorn Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Fond du Lac
    Thanks Fred for the information. I thought it was just me that had this problem
    John

9. Fred Weiss

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    I found about about both of them at the Adobe forums. The problem is common knowledge there and has been for some time.

10. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    The easy way is to click on "ignore white" in the lower right. Check that and it gets rid of the duplicate shapes.

Attached Files: