• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Liver Of Sulfur For Darkening Copper

SignMan17

Has anyone ever used this method of oxidization to darken copper? I'm making a specialty sign for a time share company where the price is no factor and curious about different methods of adding a rusted-looking finish similar to patina. From what I have found online the liver of sulfur seems to be to route I will be taking but I have never done this before so is there a different method I should consider? How should I go about application? Any help is greatly appreciated. Below is what I am trying to recreate -Sign Man

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (5).jpg
    FullSizeRender (5).jpg
    805.6 KB · Views: 431

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's not really a safe way to do it, unless you really know what you're doing, not to mention the smells that will occur and chemical reactions. Need gloves, eye protection and a well ventilated area for that method..... especially with the size piece you're considering.

Vinegar and salt mixture will also work.

Not many people will go to these lengths anymore, they'll just do it with varnish mixtures and paint it on and wipe and give it a faux finish. You'll be amazed at how well that works.

SignMan17

Thanks for your reply Gino, I have all the protection I will need and also I would do it outside to be extra safe. I have experimented with some other methods but haven't found one that seems to give the effect I am aiming for. The main goal is to recreate the quality of the sign they brought us and obviously whoever made this knew what they were doing. This is a good client of ours and we want to produce the best work we can for them and like I said before the price doesn't matter

SignosaurusRex

If you go this route, I'd mix a very light solution with more water than suggested. You can get the desired result more effectively if you go slow and in stages.
Take some time to experiment. Keep a water hose handy so you can flush the copper quickly if you find that the chemical reaction is progressing too rapidly. Vinegar and water mixture can be used to alter the appearance of the oxidation.
I used to use this process for copper many years ago when we did a lot of custom and creative finishes on full sheets of various metals for a custom architectural details company.
You might also consider looking into Chemetal® products. They produce a number similar finishes in ready to use 4x8 and 4x10 sheets. I'ts a great product.