• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Loading ICC Profiles in Flexi

Running Flexi Print/Cut 8.6 on the Mac.

Figured it was time to properly profile my printer and make some ICCs for the media that I run. For now I have been using some generic ICC's I got off the internet.

Made a linearization ICC profile using profile maker. Put it into the ICC folder for my printer in Flexi. When I go to load the ICC profile into Flexi I get a warning saying "Incompatible ICC profile". I do color management for my other full time job so the profile should be okay.

As a test I downloaded a preset from Oracal that has everything prebuilt into into and that loads...

tried downloading other printer ICC profiles and those won't load either. Same incompatible icc profile warning. Only thing that loads are prebuilts from the actual vinyl manufacturers.

Any ideas....I see that their a full version of flexi that comes with a color profile builder. I really hope I don't need that. You should be able to load your ICC profiles into it...

HELP!

eye4clr

There is a big difference between an icc and a media profile. You need the media profile, that as you said "has everything built into it".

Sounds like you've got the expensive stuff sorted out with ProfileMaker and a proper spectrophotometer. Now you've got to go through the entire process of building a media profile in flexi.

I don't remember off hand what the name of the utility in flexi is that makes the profiles, but it allows you to go through all the steps necessary except the ICC (assuming you do not have the full blown pro version. Then you make a media preset and import your ICC into that, then save it. Write down all your settings because flexi is fragile in keeping things together.

You'll need to do (in order)....
1. ink restrictions of individual colors. Basically establishing what 100% of an ink really means
2. linearization...not in ProfileMaker but in Flexi.
3. total ink limits. This is a matter of personal preference whether you do this step before the icc or within. Either way works equally well.
4. make the icc.

Explanations don't get much more simplified that this. There is lots more to it. Read up here, it's been hashed out more than a few times.

I just got off the phone with Flexi tech support. He never heard of profile maker. I reassured him that it was a good program.

He said that I need to use Flexi's tool for making profiles. Unfortunately the Mac version doesn't come with it. Now I need to buy a PC and upgrade the to full Windows version. Totally sucks. I wish the vendor that sold me Flexi would've told me that. So now I need to decide if I want to spend more money or if I want to switch to a different RIP. I'm really not liking Flexi very much. I wish I would've purchase Onyx.

eye4clr

Yes, it is kind of hidden. I made a couple of profiles for a customer a few weeks ago with flexi and it took me a few minutes to find the utility. But he did have the full Pro version.

eye4clr

He said that I need to use Flexi's tool for making profiles
Not true. I always use ProfileMaker instead of their flawed icc generation.

Unfortunately the Mac version doesn't come with it.
I don't know about you, but I feel very frustrated by this on your behalf. See if they'll swap you at no charge.

@eye4color can u verify for me that u are able to load icc's on the print/cut windows version?

The disk I have has both Mac and windows installer. Just have to find a windows machine to try it on. I'm a Mac guy but if this works I will need to get a PC. It's absolutely foolish for a company to sell a rip that you wouldn't be able to add icc's. Ticks me off. That should be noted in the package. Warning this rip just prints but u can't control your color

eye4clr

loading an icc is possible in every version (I think). My bigger point is that you need to do more than load an ICC. You need to be able to create the Media Profile. It contains an ICC and a whole lot more as I outlined above.

So your question should be "can I create a Media Profile?", not just the ICC. I'll wager you can not with your version. This I do not know with any certainty. But it is very common for RIP manufacturers to have an entry level and/or bundled version that has no ability to make a Media Profile. It's their scheme to get you to upgrade if it matters that much to you.