• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Loading Laminator - cutting off backing paper

jlhmartin

Hi! This is a REALLY silly question, but I wanted to know what tool you use if you need to score the backing paper ONLY on a roll of laminate. I've tried using xacto blades (dull and sharp) and I can't get it to come off of the laminate cleanly. It's also tough not to cut the laminate as well as the paper!
I ask this because it would help make webbing our laminator a bit easier.
I've watched youTube videos and everyone says a "dull instrument"... But I know there HAS to be a name for the tool!!!
Thanks for any help!!!

allamericantrade

thinksigns

SnowFlake
We just use a fine tip ball point pen.

Edit. After its been webbed and pressure added.

Last edited:

cha88

a tip i learned was, web your laminator... leaving the paper backing on the laminate...then use a blunt object like the sharpie or anything similar shaped. And then put some pressure on the paper and slide it across the paper backing all the way across... the laminate will strech just enough to tear the paper... takes a couple of tries to get the concept down... but it works excellent afterwards...you can still push to hard and tear the laminate and paper so you will figure it out after a couple shots!