• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

local install

WOODBS

i have been doing alot of install only lately for some local sign shops. Mostly wraps..well, i was hired recently to "patch" a mess up on a sprinter. basically the indentation was tented and stretched in as far as possible, then sliced and pushed in with lam tape after. obviously it was pulling up, they reprinted the indent only with bleed, being that the panels were stretched and applied in panels, they printed the patch as one horizontal piece...no worries. with no special instructions, i removed the indent and replaced new one, really no way to overlap to hide the white "ceiling, floor, and sides" and align correctly with text etc, so i made a clean straight cut on the existing print leaving the white show. again trimmed the new panel on the tight bend, so a 5/8" white showed...looked great from side view and will not fail. sign shop says customer wanted to cover all white area, unacceptable! i think i should have been instructed of this prior to install, which i would have explained the alignment issue.
Being that the wrap was applied incorrectly to begin with, i feel i did the correct thing here. Now this wrap has other issues than this like bubbles, vinyl hanging on corners, etc..
like the song.."am i right..or am i wrong?"

Pat Whatley

I'm gonna have to agree with the other shop here, Brett. I would have expected the white to all be covered, that's the point of the wrap and if I was hiring you to do it I wouldn't have thought I'd need to mention it. I'm sure you did what you could with the mess you were given to work with, it's just one of those cases where you realize that you should have mentioned that possibility to the customer. Unfortunately most of us don't think to mention that stuff until after the fact.

WOODBS

yeah, full coverage is ideal...but like i said the original was applied with stretching etc. yes I guess I should have made a phonecall, but the white was showing on the original one as well, just a jagged smaller line..just made the exec decision. had limited time to complete also?

Des6139

Yes, I think you done the best that can be done on sprinter panels . The problem seems to be (Now) the whole application in general.

cdiesel

You're in the right in my opinion. That's the correct, warranted way to wrap Sprinter channels. Unless you're using 380, which from what I've seen still doesn't stay in the channels most of the time.

You *can* wrap the sides with patches, but that is not the usual way to do it, and is charged accordingly.

grafixemporium

Our installations are amazingly clean... but there's always that customer who expects the impossible. The best way to deal with it is to stay one step ahead of them and make sure they are informed.

You have to cut a relief there... it's the right way to do it. Just make sure you educate the customer before you do an install from here on out and you should be good. They need to know what can and can't be done with vinyl and what areas of their vehicle will be exposed.