• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

local sign shops want me to wrap vehicles

Wraps ink

I wanted to get some feedback on this and see what everyone's thoughts were. I have had a few sign/graphics shops contact my company about doing installs for them. My first thought was, no way I would be in competition with myself. My other thought was it may be a good source of income and I'm sure some other shops would request my services as well not sure what to do yet because we also offer many of the same services that they do. any thoughts?

Wraptrick

I do this often, in fact it is a large portion of my income. I'm an installer, and although I would much rather handle a wrap all the way through, I figure the more quality install jobs out there, the better.

FatCat

A lot of sign companies advertise they do wraps and in the end they don't have the manpower or know-how to actually install them. I would think if you are an above average wrapper, and you have other sign shops coming to you for the install work then why not? Installation of wraps requires very little out of pocket expenses and is mostly just labor. Probably similar to hand-painting back in the day. If you know what you're doing you should be able to name your price or they can go elsewhere.

CanuckSigns

We do work for other sign shops as well, it's not an issue.

Think of it this way, if you both bid on a wrap job and you loose to the other shop, but they have you install it, you are at least getting part of the pie.

MikeD

Sounds like a good opportunity. Hopefully you get to have input as far as what materials they print and lam with, and distance yourself from any liability of material failure of bad design.
Good Luck!

TammieH

A job is a job...Back in the day, a lot of the sign shops were run by one time coworkers from older sign shops...The owners of sign companies I worked for in the 70's and 80's new each other, no less than 6 sign shops did business with each other. Sure there was competition, but most were very friendly with each other, I know some did not get a long personally but on a business level, it was completely different.

I really believe that some people go to far with "they are my Competitor"

There are always new ideas and what better way than to learn from one another...I think that is what goes on here. No?

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I'm asked this VERY often. I almost ALWAYS say NO. Many say why not...it's money. But here's why.
If a company does any searching at all for wraps online in my area, they'll find me and get a quote. I've seen several other shops attempt and butcher a wrap job after I refused to install for them. They had no business advertising they do wraps, thus being a competitor. Also, if I do install for another shop...that vehicle drives around looking good and when people ask...who did your wrap...guess what shop benefits from having a quality wrap shop...my competitor.
No matter what way you look at it...in the long run, it hurts my wrap shop if I wrap for another shop. That would create a dozen wrap shops around me with identical quality. I might as well just ditch my printer and shop and be a traveling installer. NOPE. I've worked too hard to establish a reputable name locally. My wraps are a large part of my marketing. Word of mouth etc.

vinylbytim

I do a ton of installs for local sign shops. It's good money at least for me anyways I do contract installs in Indiana Ohio and Pennsylvania

Wraps ink

Kentucky,
thats the view I had on it but it seems everyone else is all for it....Ive always refused in the past and all of my competittors use the same installer im actually the only one who does our own installs as far as I know. I guess when people see quality I want them to know its my shop.

econolinesigns

We do work for other sign companies all the time. Opens the door to other items you can do that they don't do as well. Our wholesale side accounts for at least 25% of our business every year.

gnemmas

Installation is only one element of a wrap job. Design is the most important element.

".that vehicle drives around looking good and when people ask...'who did your wrap'...guess what shop benefits from having a quality wrap shop...my competitor. "

When customer ask "who did the wrap", I would think it refers to the design, mostly.

J

john1

I trade off work with another print shop all the time, Money is money.

WCSign

Installation is only one element of a wrap job. Design is the most important element.

".that vehicle drives around looking good and when people ask...'who did your wrap'...guess what shop benefits from having a quality wrap shop...my competitor. "

When customer ask "who did the wrap", I would think it refers to the design, mostly.

Agreed

J

john1

Your competitor getting more work because whoever seen the wrap liked it is more money for YOU. If you are the one doing their wrap installs...

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps

Awesome design is great...but if it's a real shoddy install...that's gonna leave a bad impression. If it's a great design AND install...it's gonna leave a great impression...hurting my business in the long run.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Your competitor getting more work because whoever seen the wrap liked it is more money for YOU. If you are the one doing their wrap installs...

Not exactly. If I'm losing whole wrap jobs (includes printing) that would net me $2,400, to a competitor because their wraps I got paid $700 to wrap gave them more notoriety around town and made it to their gallery.
So in the long run, it's more money for them...not more money for me.
I don't know how else to explain it.
$700 in let's say 7 man hours vs $2,400 in 9 man hours (2 hours for trimming, laminating, setting up files etc.)
Not counting the graphic design (which would be another income as well)
That's why I own a printer and laminator rather than just becoming an installer.
Also, a wrap through my doors means they order other jobs from me as well.