• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Location Help

signgem

Hi All,

Just joined your great forum. I am really taking in some great info and I really appreciate it.

I am quite new to our business. I have been going very slow in the garage and doing pretty well. We are ( wife & I ) considering very seriously moving to a shop. most of our business doesn't seem to be requiring a storefront ( shopping mall type location) but im not sure about it .
So I ask you all what do you think ? Does the exposure of the strip mall help the business volume, or is it best served spending the dollars on marketing and going for a more inexpensive industrial setting.

We would appreciate any advise :unclesam:

Bannerday

Location really depends a lot on what market you are trying to target.

Keep in mind that strip malls are usually more expensive and have more restrictions. They sometimes dictate store hours etc.

If you are targeting commercial business than the additional cost of a strip location may not be worth it.

Good Luck,
Mary Ann

Bogie

Walk in customers will eat a LOT of time, and they generally want labor intensive small stuff.

I'd suggest some sort of industrial place, with a garage door available so you can drive a vehicle indoors to work on it.

zgraphics

I started in the garage doing banners and graphics on vehicles, but was force out by the homeowner association. I have a store front on a busy street and my business is great. I'm in a shopping strip next door to a pawn shop that brings in high traffic... I say open a shop in a shopping center...well good luck and happy hunting.

imaSIGNr

Other things to think about are you going to actually make signs and have the need for wood working, painting etc. or are you just going to be a sticker slapper ?

kstompaint

With out a doubt get a more industrial location. Find a place with a large enough door to get in box vans, etc.

Bogie's right, walk-ins are generally more trouble than thier worth. I just got a new location. It can't be seen from the road but is off a main road where I can put a large sign. The space that I have in town would be 4x the cost. Also, out of sight out of mind to the powers that be. I can pretty much do as I choose.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Welcome from OK
If you decide to do the Mall thing, don't try to do everything yourself. Farm out some auto tags and stickers to sell and add some personal stuff if you have the room. Mall shoppers are browsers and impulse buyers. Your products need to be popular, niche or fad items. Charge enough to allow for not selling everything.

I made the mistake once of looking around to see what everyone else was selling and getting those items to sell. Found out later that those items were for sale because they were the left overs that no one else wanted. Know your market!