• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo Critique

peavey123

Hi All,

I have been given the task of design my friend a logo for a business he has bought. The business is in a rural town where the previous business owner basically ran the business into the ground. Now that they are under new ownership they want a new look.

The logo they had before was just Helvetica Black text. Colours were red and black.

I feel like I'm missing something in the attached logo, but I don't know what it is? I chose the current colour schemes because blue represents trust and dependability. They really need to empathize these traits as the previous owner lost all trust in this town. I went with some yellow because it represents positivity. Just tryin' to put some positive vibes out there man. lol

Any input how I can improve this one?

Thanks!

Attachments

• logo-concepts.jpg
    logo-concepts.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 136

Marlene

these are quick way off roughs but maybe the name needs to be bordered too

Attachments

• logo-concepts2.jpg
    logo-concepts2.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 107
  • logo-concepts3.jpg
    logo-concepts3.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 118

Pat Whatley

Second post, one on the left. Lose the prismatic copy and hand vectorize the motor and I think it'll be pretty cool. Make the motor larger, maybe even to the point it runs outside the border. Don't tuck it behind the bar over the name. That all probably sounds like a lot....small tweaks really (with the exception of drawing the motor)

JR's

Just my opinion, The name ( O'ROURKE ) has to be longer in length. Right now it looks like it's kind of breaking the plane, Borders. So it's fighting with the panel. A little bigger or with in the panel. So it doesn't look like an accident

A simpler text for the top.

And make the motor a little more simpler. Reduce the colors or something.

peavey123

I agree with losing the prismatic text at the top and making the motor look better.

Thanks all. Will post the revised version when I get a chance.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, rjp is more on the path for a logo. The original looks more like just a sign layout, not a logo. Logos usually aren't a form of advertising, but that of someone yelling their name from a mountain top for all to hear. Well, in this case, it's for all to see...... the name.

John Butto

This is the 2nd time today on disagreeing with the mob, but Peavey123's first logo has it all over the lighting bolt thing from rjpr. And I agreee with P123 in it being too "squishy".

p3

rjpjr - It's funny I think you and I had the same thoughts. I was working on this and just went to upload my idea and saw yours. But here it is anyway. I liked the colors used, and I liked that it was simple and plain. peavy123 I don't think you necessarily need the motor in there, and I think the text should be grouped together along with different sizes. The first idea you had, had too many competing type faces. When everything is the same size, and not completely grouped together it gets confusing. I liked the bold use of light blue and orange though, so I left that.

attachment.php

p3

John Butto - I agree too. I think a lot of things need to have the simple stick shaken at them. When it comes to the lightning bolt, what value does that add? Even the text in mine. I dunno about the "Electric Motor Sales & Service". When I was making it, it seemed super redundant considering the logo itself is "O'Rourke Electric" I played with it a little bit, flipped it to where it said Sales & Service of electric motors, but even with the small text below, it felt off.

peavey123

Okay, So I did a better job vectorizing the motor. Fixed the text similar to RPJR's version. Made O'Rourke and Electric Larger. Hopefully it's better. I'm liking it more for sure.

I tried to put a lightning bolt on the top, but I just couldn't stomach it. It's just too over done and to me is more representative of an electrician, not a motor repair guy. Sorry. I tried, I really did. lol

Attachments

• logo-concept2.jpg
    logo-concept2.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 133

Dennis422

When doing logos I want to make sure that they will look OK when digitally printed, screen printed and embroidered.
That will not look good embroidered. Simplify the motor or remove it completely.

Also, I try to keep two different fonts at the most. 3 is OK, but I prefer not too many fonts for the logo.

My $.02

peavey123

When doing logos I want to make sure that they will look OK when digitally printed, screen printed and embroidered.
That will not look good embroidered. Simplify the motor or remove it completely.

Also, I try to keep two different fonts at the most. 3 is OK, but I prefer not too many fonts for the logo.

My $.02

Ya, I know the motor won't embroider. but in that case I'd just have them use the O'Rourke Electric wording on it's own.

There are only 2 fonts. Cubano and Duke.

Dennis422

I see 3.
But like I said, 3 is not that big of a deal.
2 and 3 have different C's and R's

Attachments

• Fonts.jpg
    Fonts.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 119

SignManiac

A little different approach. Although it's not as simple as I would like, the graphic elements do give it that pow in your face. Motor isn't entirely necessary but like they say, opinions are like azz holes. Ooop wrong saying, "A picture is worth a thousand words"

Edited to add with a little more emphasis on Sales & Service....

Attachments

• Orourke.jpg
    Orourke.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 129
  • Orourke2.jpg
    Orourke2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 117
Last edited: