• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo Critique

forty9

Hey all,

Been reading this forum for a while and never had the guts to put my work on here, but I am in need of some professional criticism on this one.

This is for a new Bar called "Country Chrome" with a farm and motorcycle meshed-theme. They don't really want "Bar" or any verbiage like that on it, so it may be a little vague.

Any critique/help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Attachments

• country_chrome.jpg
    country_chrome.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 123

SignManiac

Pretty nice start actually. Not sure about the choice of fonts. They don't mix well. I would try something else for Chrome and without the fancy R. You already have a lot of conflicting angles going in all different directions between the shape of the barn, the exhaust pipes and horns. But I see a good start so far.

forty9

Thanks for your thoughts, SignManiac. I guess the conflicting fonts was on purpose as this place is more or less meshing two different "lifestyles" or types of people, if you will.

Perhaps the two fonts are too "stereotyped" for the two crowds of people?

In your opinion...is that something that I should ignore, or just choose a pair of fonts that are different, yet flow well together?

Thanks again!

shoresigns

Great logo! Just a few general tips:

1. Make sure you have a 1-colour version of the logo available, as it will be needed at some point (i.e. frosted vinyl).
  2. Be sure the logo looks good on a black background, given that the black outline and shadow will disappear.
  3. Two fonts of a similar style will almost never fit together.
  4. Normally I'd say your client had better be sure that their storefront LOOKS like a bar, if they're not going to put a keg or the word "bar" in their logo. On the other hand, most bars look like bars from outside with all their supplementary signage, so it's usually not an issue.

Craig Sjoquist

I like it, font choice, use of barn, cattle horn & pipes, plus the R takes up blank space.
agrees make sure as a black/white it works also.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
The exhaust pipes are a bit tacky. Especially the rather stilted, trite, and passe flames emerging from them. The type face used for 'Country' is locked in mortal combat with the face used for 'Chrome'.

Marlene

a farm and biker bar and you can't use the word bar...you poor thing trying to come up with something to convey that message! is this for a sign? does the building look like a bar meaning neon beer signs in the windows or somehting that would make it clear this is a bar and not a restaurant? if so just go with fonts and no graphics. people feel that a logo/sign design has to have an image and it doesn't. I do like the idea of a contrasting set of fonts so the two words are clearly two ideas. the barn the horns and exhaust pipes are way too much and really don't help tell the story of what's going on.

Jillbeans

I was always taught to never use two display typefaces together.
I think that if you changed CHROME to a bold sans serif like Antique Olive Nord or Sign DNA Big Red it would be a lot better looking.
Love....Jill

Marlene

we went to Maine this summer. there's a building that has been several restaurants over the years. my family was out looking for a place to have dinner, pulled up to the building and could not figure out from the sign if this was another restaurant or if it had become a bar. we had my 3 year grandson with us to since we couldn't tell by the sign, we drove to another place that made it clear what was going on inside. epic fail of that sign. if this place doesn't clearly look like a bar with beer sign in all the windows, they may face the same thing. lets be honest, who on this planet is going to get a farm/biker bar no matter how many images you put into the design. if they don't want to use the word bar, then at least use some words that convey what the heck they are. barns, horns and exhaust pipes just confuse me. if you had not told us the concept, I would never have guessed it was for a farmer/biker bar and I don't think it's ever a good idea to have a sign with no clear message.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
To me, looking at the thumbnail, it looks like a lady bug got squashed and had some 'colors' on her back.

The concept might work for another venue, but it's completely lost on this. Perhaps, you can't use the word 'Bar' itself, but there will probably be beer signs in the windows, neon signs and other things to indicate it's a bar. I would imagine, the logo is needed for on T-shirts, phone book ads and other weekly pamphlets which get distributed by the locals. Therefore, it seems you need something a little better of getting the idea across when being scrutinized.

I think you need to try a totally different direction and one that is really kick-a$$ and not cutesie.