• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo Design and Providing Multiple Options

neato

When you guys do a logo design and provide say 3 options, how do you respond when the client says they want to "go with the last 2 options"?

1. Explain to them the importance of a consistent brand and force them to narrow it down to one choice

2. Give them both options while charging a fee for providing the second logo file in different formats

Billct2

I guess I would respond one of two ways.
1st What is it you like about the two designs, maybe we can combine them to create your image.
2nd. Great, now I get to charge you twice as much for two logos.

CanuckSigns

Can you post an example? I'm having trouble picturing why someone would think having 2 logos is a good idea, unless there is a horizontal and vertical version for different applications, but 2 completly different logos seems odd.

Some people are just really bad at making a decision...

fresh

I had someone love two things we designed. So we put one on the sides of a trailer, and the other on the back.

Its not really worth the effort to convince them otherwise... But you could charge them for both, since now you won't be able to use that design concept again.

Kottwitz-Graphics

When you created my logo, it was extremely hard to narrow down to one logo. If you remember, it seems like it took me forever to decide between 2 or 3 examples.

So if you think it through, the fact that you come up with so many fine examples can be overwhelming.... so stop being so awesome. .. :ROFLMAO:

SignManiac

I'd also make mention of the fact that the more options they have, the harder the decision. If you do your homework well, you should get pretty close to the mark within the first few revisions.

I'm currently working on a design for a RV park that has an existing field stone structure and worked on two completely different concepts. I'm happy with either one, but it's going to be their decision to make. Just depends on whether they want to look rustic or fancy. The last pic is what they currently have and they're changing the name to the Reserve from West Wind.

Attachments

• Reserve-03.jpg
    Reserve-03.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 89
  • Reserve-01.jpg
    Reserve-01.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 90
  • Reserve-02.jpg
    Reserve-02.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 86

Jeff

The design was the same, but we had a customer that couldn't decide between the two color options we gave them, so we did a two sided sign with different colors on each side.:Big Laugh

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Do not provide options. That way lies madness.

Most, if not all, clients are incapable of deciding when to have lunch let alone choose a design from multiple variations. You must tell them what they're going to have in such a way that they think that they have chosen something. Some are better at this than others.

fresh

Do not provide options. That way lies madness.

Most, if not all, clients are incapable of deciding when to have lunch let alone choose a design from multiple variations. You must tell them what they're going to have in such a way that they think that they have chosen something. Some are better at this than others.

When I do layouts, I almost always only give one. When my partner does layouts, he likes to give them 3 or 4 different things to choose from. Guess who's stuff gets approved on the first try most often?

TimToad

I can't say I've ever had someone want more than the final single logo the initial 2 or 3 concepts finally evolved into, but in this day and age where we don't dare refuse even the most uninformed or biased decision an either ego-driven or eccentric client might make for economic reasons, I guess anything is possible. I'm suspecting that even after giving it the old college try to convince them that what they wanted was illogical and potentially confusing, you probabl did what most of us would do and just give them what they want and move on.

Here is a finalized logo I just sent off to the client and the three initial concepts from where it evolved. I don't know how I would have reacted had they chosen two of the three for whatever reason and not "heard" the reasons behind why sending multiple branding images to potential customers might not be a good idea.

Aarons Boys Home logos.jpg

Would I call the final one chosen by my client my favorite? Probably not, but sometimes its more about us designing to a client's quirks, preferences, idiosyncracies, etc. than what our heart of hearts, knowledge and skills tell us to design.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
What does your contract say?

Ours says 3 concepts, 3 revisions, 1 logo

Without knowing the type of client, some clients... like a restaurant can afford
a few designs if they are selling swag... we just finished a restaurant with 2 logos...
albeit very similar... they sell t-shirts, pins, and belt buckles.

We didn't charge double, but we secured the next 2 restaurants he is building by
letting them have it and getting them production ready. He picked the logos with no
revisions, and on the first shot, we also charged them enough so it was really not
much of an issue.

Joe Diaz

When you guys do a logo design and provide say 3 options, how do you respond when the client says they want to "go with the last 2 options"?

1. Explain to them the importance of a consistent brand and force them to narrow it down to one choice

2. Give them both options while charging a fee for providing the second logo file in different formats

If I were you, I would try 1 first, and then 2. Two logos isn't normally a part of of the deal here, and if it's outside of the scope of your agreement, then charge them appropriately for it.

The other question would then be: What do you do with the designs they don't pick? I know some folks that would use a concept or an idea that wasn't used and try to sell it to someone else. Not sure how I feel about that, and it's unlikely that you will get someone else that comes in whose logo needs are the same as someone else's anyway. What I have done several times, especially if they don't pick a layout that I really really like, is ask for permission to use the layout they didn't choose in our portfolio. I don't have to ask this imo, but it's a curtsy none-the-less so I do. A few times simply asking that question has caused them to reconsider their choice. LOL. Funny how that works huh? Anyway, what I'll sometimes do is then change the copy out to a fictitious name and use it in our portfolio to sell more work. Several of those designs end up being the ones that new clients make a point of telling me they like when they are looking at hiring us to do design work. So those reject designs have helped sell a bunch of work.