• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo Design Mockup base on Pat's 10 minute logo

Locals Find!

Just want to say up front. This is not for a client in anyway. Just messing around bored and, trying to improve upon my design skills just for my own enjoyment. This is not being sold, given away, etc... It will never see the public eye in anyway other than this site.

I have learned a lot since joining this site, one of them being I am not a "Designer". I would like to be one, some day. This is just one of many steps down a long road. I may never reach my goal but, to me it's all about the journey now.

Also, added one with a ladder for your amusement.

Attachments

• accountant-mockup.jpg
    accountant-mockup.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 124
  • accountant-mockup-ladder.jpg
    accountant-mockup-ladder.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 95

Craig Sjoquist

Thinks the ladder should be closer to center & have a sign painter, lettering the name.

Seriously, nice arrangement .. myself a bolder name or stronger .. a bit more tightening up might also help.

If you have read Mike Stevens book , many of your questions could be answered on layout ALSO if you have read Dan Antonelli 1st book most of the logo design questions can be answered, then move n to 2nd book.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Ladder? Is this being also a fireman or a roofer? Why not include an irrigation pump or a bumper jack should you have those images laying about?

Regardless, the attempt at a monogram is rather dismal. If you want to make a proper monogram the initials should properly be intertwined somewhat and not italic. Put it in a diamond or an oval rather than a square. Integrate the border into the monogram.

The device in the center with the diamond in the middle is of sufficient weight as to overpower everything else.

The type face selection is rather pedestrian and has little, if any, character. Perhaps this is reflective of accountancy in general but you can still give it at least a bit of personality, keep it sober, and still not make it look like a rodeo banner.

The weights of all the elements, save the center device, are pretty much homogeneous. Nothing grabs and directs an observer's eye.

Marlene

I don't say this often as I like to encourage people to follow their dreams, but give up, just give up. bury those dreams so far down they never resurface again. abandon all hope to ever be a designer and never look back. move on and keep moving on

I don't say this often as I like to encourage people to follow their dreams, but give up, just give up. bury those dreams so far down they never resurface again. abandon all hope to ever be a designer and never look back. move on and keep moving on

If you are not an artist, how can you ever become a decent designer? The answer is you can't. That's like telling a "garden tool" that she'll make a great housewife.

bob

If you are not an artist, how can you ever become a decent designer? The answer is you can't. That's like telling a "garden tool" that she'll make a great housewife.

Nonsense compounded by an incomprehensible analogy.

Design in the context of designs, logos, and other stuff endlessly discussed in these waters, is far more a job of synthesis than producing any original art.

Synthesis being the creation of original work using, and sometimes tweaking, existing elements. One can be an outstanding and concomitantly successful synthesist without being able to draw a stick figure.

Nonsense compounded by an incomprehensible analogy.

Design in the context of designs, logos, and other stuff endlessly discussed in these waters, is far more a job of synthesis than producing any original art.

Synthesis being the creation of original work using, and sometimes tweaking, existing elements. One can be an outstanding and concomitantly successful synthesist without being able to draw a stick figure.

I suppose that is true to some extent. However, if an artist is able to better understand things like spacial relationships, contrasting elements, color theory, and creative techniques you cannot deny they are likely better suited for the task. I won't' say it's impossible, but why would such a design critic as yourself be so swift to encourage one who arguably has no art background to try their hand at designing?

On the converse, I'm not saying that an artist necessarily would make a great designer, as I witness my own struggles, but I would certainly suggest that having some art background should be a prerequisite for indulging oneself into the field. At least the odds of success would rest more in your favor.

bob

I suppose that is true to some extent. However, if an artist is able to better understand things like spacial relationships, contrasting elements, color theory, and creative techniques you cannot deny they are likely better suited for the task. I won't' say it's impossible, but why would such a design critic as yourself be so swift to encourage one who arguably has no art background to try their hand at designing?....

I'm not encouraging anyone to do anything.

One can have a complete understanding of all of those things you list and still not be able to draw a stick figure.

Just like anyone can go to school and study music. Learn all of the notes, progressions, modes, harmonies, rhythms, buy an instrument and play notes upon it. But all of that is no guarantee that they'll be able to make music. Understanding the theory, tools, rules, and various elements of something is only coincidentally related to actually being able to do it. Whatever 'it' might be.

Back in the day I wrote code. Not so much for PC's, but on the big iron. I was paid an astounding amount of money, even by today's standards, to ply my trade. At the time there were but a handful of people on the planet capable of writing commercial grade code at this level and little Billy Gates wasn't one of them. I never went to school, never even took a class or a seminar although I used to teach a few. There was no such thing as 'Computer Science', we of my generation invented that, miserable thing that it turned out to be. I just sat down and did it. Then and now for the life of me I couldn't tell you how I did it, It just sort of flowed out of my fingertips. No diagrams, no flow charts, no outlines, no notes, no nothing, just code.

Some are able to just sit down and do it. Others not so much. Be it music, art, code, or whatever. This ability, or lack thereof, doesn't seem to have any sort of causal relationship with previous education in theory and tools. Certainly there are people with both theory and ability but examples of either one without the other are sufficiently plentiful as to call any necessary connection between the two into serious doubt.

Conversely, being able to whip out a rendering of something is no indicator of any ability to do sign and related work. Witness the all too common "I've got a nephew who can draw" syndrome that plagues every journeyman sign writer from time to time. While little Rollo may well be able to sketch and paint, he always seems to lack even a glimmer of understanding of typography and synthetic design. Likewise the most of computer science grads who couldn't code their way out of a paper bag.

Marlene

being able to draw an image in no way means you know anyhting about design, it only means you have a skill. design in itself is a skill but does not require the ability to draw. if you can do both then it is a bonus but nothing more than that. you are mixing up an illustrator with a designer. it is like mixing up a toaster and a house wife...you aren't the only one who can come up with some off the wall comparison but in no way does that mean we would make great copy writers as that too is a skill

being able to draw an image in no way means you know anyhting about design, it only means you have a skill. design in itself is a skill but does not require the ability to draw. if you can do both then it is a bonus but nothing more than that. you are mixing up an illustrator with a designer. it is like mixing up a toaster and a house wife...you aren't the only one who can come up with some off the wall comparison but in no way does that mean we would make great copy writers as that too is a skill

Sadly I am under the misinterpretation that a graphic designer should in fact be an illustrator, or at the very least a seasoned photographer. Having an art background is certainly helpful if you plan to be successful in graphic design and I personally think that one who lacks that background should consider approaching a different career path. I will graciously retract what I said earlier and accept the fact that it can be done, albeit most likely to a much lesser degree of faultlessness, but do I think it should be done? No, I don't think someone who lacks artistic ability should pursue the graphic design field.

I mean how on earth do you tell a designer to approach a project with preliminary sketches first if they can't even draw? You can't tell me they aren't limiting themselves entirely to synthesis, as Bob put it, by having no art background. So is synthesis acceptable? Has the job title "graphic designer" denigrated to the point that the only necessary skill set is to "have a good eye" and the willingness to learn? Call me crazy, but I just don't get it.

Let me put it this way. I know there are plenty of notable designers who have an art background, or at the very least an ability to sketch layouts but are there any notable designers who don't?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7l0mIlzx_I&feature=related

John Butto

Marlene working on a holiday.